Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Taylor Test Kit question

1. Back To Top    #1

Taylor Test Kit question

I have a Taylor 2006 test kit. It gives the option of using a 25 ml sample or a 10 ml sample for the FC test. The question is that the instructions for FC test says to use two dippers of DPD R 0870, not differentiating whether that is for the 10 ml or 25 ml sample. If 2 dippers are OK for 25 ml, wouldn't it be better to use 1 dipper the 10 ml sample? Will the test results be affected either way?
    docelect
    30k gallons in-ground vinyl
    1.5 hp pump 300 lb sand filter
    Polaris cleaner, T15 Hayward SWG
    Jackson, Mississippi

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Taylor Test Kit question

As long as it turns Barbie Pink, you've probably got enough. If you see one or two granules undissolved, that's perfect.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

You can not use too much powder, but you can use too little and skew the test. Like Richard said if it starts with a nice deep pink, you are likely find.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

1 heaping dipper for 10mL test.
    14k gal IG vinyl, Jandy Flopro 1 hp up-rated, 2 spd pump, Hayward 325 sq ft cartridge filter, Circupool Si-40 SWCG

5. Back To Top    #5

One heaping dipper in 5 ml is what I've been doing. My new Speed Stir even has a 5 ml line. I don't need .5 accuracy most days (high CYA) and then I don't have to multiply by two, because "Math is hard!"
    20,000 gal in-ground plaster pool with sand filter. Replastered recently. Mostly adding bleach and acid. CYA was high when I took over.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by SwimAustin View Post
    One heaping dipper in 5 ml is what I've been doing. My new Speed Stir even has a 5 ml line. I don't need .5 accuracy most days (high CYA) and then I don't have to multiply by two, because "Math is hard!"
    For reference, This can be ok when you are at higher FC levels (like in the middle of a SLAM), but that is not accurate enough to be testing for CCs or for doing OCLT.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

7. Back To Top    #7

in getting the test kits, I see the TF-100, is the Taylor K-2005 DPD a good kit or no?
    Dave Graham
    6,000 Gallon 16' x 4' Intex Round Ultra Frame
    Hayward S244-T Sand Filter, Intex SWG, Hayward SF1593 1.5hp Pump, Hayward Thru-Wall Skimmer

8. Back To Top    #8

NO. The K-2005 is NOT the right kit. You need the FAS-DPD chlorine test ... NOT the DPD chlorine test:
    Recommended Test Kits
    Jason, TFP Moderator

9. Back To Top    #9

Ok, I will follow the advice of the Guru's here. TF-100 kit is what I will get
    Dave Graham
    6,000 Gallon 16' x 4' Intex Round Ultra Frame
    Hayward S244-T Sand Filter, Intex SWG, Hayward SF1593 1.5hp Pump, Hayward Thru-Wall Skimmer

10. Back To Top    #10

For completeness, the Taylor K-2006 has the correct test, but the TF-100 is a better deal.
    Jason, TFP Moderator