BBQ Island Build - 99% Complete

Looks great man!

Any chance you can post material costs for project? I'm contemplating buying a pre feb kit and assembling myself.

Did you install granite yourself if so what was the cost?

rodog123,

Thanks!

I hired the granite installation out to a local shop. The granite without any cutting or installation was $11 per sqft. Sorry, I don't have a comprehensive list of material costs. The real money costs are in the gas grill, granite, stainless steel doors & drawers, stone veneer, and bar stools. It all adds up in the end. The rest of the build was just steel studs, cement board, screws & wiring. I shopped around looking for cheaper slabs of granite and tried to buy the rest of the stuff on sale at the end of the season. If you have the time, that is where you will save the most money.

I don't think the pre-fab kit will cost you much more than doing yourself. You will certainly save time with a kit and maybe save on buying some tools you may not already own.

Mark

Very nice. I wish I had the skills and tools to build my own however we ended up purchasing one already made.:cheers:

Mark,

Island looks awesome! One question - in this photo:

http://s1282.photobucket.com/user/mweisz1/media/8_zps633d106a.jpg.html

What are those black pieces that you used underneath the Trex to (presumably) level everything out?

edlouie,

Good question....those black pieces are UHMW (really hard plastic). Yes, they were used as shims to level out my island. In this area of my patio, I have a bunch of different slopes going on for water drainage. Because the UHMW is so hard, it is actually very slippery on the concrete. So I ran anchored my island down to the slab with 5 or 6 "redhead" anchors.

I also used the black UHMW (1.5" thick) behind the 4 brackets that support the bar countertop.

Mark

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Mark -

Had sent you a private msg awhile back on different topic if you get a chance to look at ... is that a bronze light (step light?) that you pictured on your backsplash? If so - where did you get ?

Thanks!

The bronze step light was purchased at store called Horizon. Horizon is a specialty landscaping store. These low-voltage lights are made by Unique. They aren't cheap, but you can feel the quality compared to the typical home improvement box store lights they sell.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.