opening pool: leaky cover issue

Jun 8, 2012
We had a ton of snow this winter and once it melted I tried to pump out all the water left on top of my cover. The depth of the water on top of the cover did not seem to go down, but the overall water went down a lot. I am thinking I must have leaks in the cover (also, over the winter the air pillow popped) and I stopped draining so I would not just keep draining out all the pool water. I am thinking that my only choice is to try to get the cover off and let the top water into the pool. Right now the top water isn't bad looking but it's getting into the 50's now and I am afraid if I do not do this soon, the top water will start to turn green and I will have more of a problem. I am thinking that I should get the leaves out, order water to fill, take the cover off right before the water gets here and start the pump. I hate to do this too soon if I don't have to since it's only the beginning of April. Any suggestions on how to do this better? I have a 27' above ground round.

Your plan sounds ok to me. Just get as much of the leaves out as you can. Whatever water goes into the pool it is what it is. I would test to see where your CYA level is and bring it up to SLAM level after you get the pool topped off.
Next year look into getting a leaf net and put that on top of your winter cover. It makes removing the leaves very easy. ?

The earlier in the season you can open the more likely you are to open to an algae free pool. We open as soon as the long term weather report stop predicting freezing temperatures at night. At that time of year there is often still some ice on the shaded side of the pool, and very little chance of any algae developing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.