Pentair Rainbow 78 Test kit and TF100 kit

CCisotope

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 1, 2013
Cypress, TX
PB just dropped off all the equipment accessories and the box has a Pentair Rainbow 78 Test kit. I just ordered the TF 100 kit last night. Since the Rainbow kit is a brand new, I don't want to throw it out and was wondering what components can be used from the Rainbow kit along with the TF 100 kit. This is our first "real" pool and Hubby and I are complete novices to pool care. Our last pool was an easy set Intex pool... PB will be by later today to start acid start up and to add Jack's magic magenta stuff.

Thanks in advance

Pics of kit

All of the tests in that kit are accurate by our standards, but you won't need the acid demand test.

The pH and Chlorine test are the same as you'll get in the K-1000 kit included in your TF-100. I think the TA test is usable too.

Bottom line, everything in that kit can be used, but don't bother with the acid demand test.

Bottom line, everything in that kit can be used, but don't bother with the acid demand test.

At one point in time I ran out of the pH and OTOCl test solutions for the TF-1000 test kit and needed to replenish quickly, I bought some refills meant for other kits and even bought other kits, and found that the solutions were not interchangeable. Some of the pH solutions yield a range of red that is mostly in the cherry red region, some give results that cover a much broader range and can be very orange. I noticed a similar situation with the OTO except that had density variations between the different solutions and the density of the yellow is the aspect your judging.

I ended up at a local pool store which had a large display of replacement reagents and I was amazed at the number of different types of pH and OTO formulations.

The original poster's question was whether the components of the Pentair kit could be used with TF-100 kit, and I guess I'd have to defer to others to say for sure, but I wouldn't bet that was the case.

There are 2 Taylor reagents for the pH test which are different strengths. R-0004 and R-0014.
The R-0004 is stronger for use in larger test blocks (like the K-2005 or K-2006 or the OPs above).
The R-0014 is weaker for use in the smaller test blocks (like the K-1000 in the TF-100)

You can actually use them with either test block, but you may need to use more or less drops to get a good match.

I agree the regents above may not be interchangeable with those in the TF-100 (are they Taylor or not?), but using that kit and the TF-100 should give comparable results.

http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/35969-pH-Phenol-Red-Taylor-reagents-R-004-and-R-0014

Thanks Smykowski and gtemkin, you both answered the questions that I had. I was reading the boards really late last night trying to absorb more info and came across a post that stated some of the rainbow kits weren't as accurate as the TF100. Also when I looked at the kit comparison chart I didn't see the Rainbow kit listed.

So it sounds like the rainbow kit will be okay for now. I will do a kit comparison once the pool is ready and post the results to get some feedback. I'll need a little hand holding as I dive into this pool maintenance stuff. Thanks everyone.

The hand holding will be easy and you'll get lot's of valuable info from all the members.

Let me address the OTO and pH kit questions. Before we chose it for the TF-100, I looked at several pH and OTO test kits and talked to a few folks who had more experience than I did. We all arrived at the conclusion that the Taylor K-1000 (included in the TF-100) yielded the best results overall. The color imprints on the comparator block do not fade and it is generally a superior kit

I would encourage you to use the K-1000 from the beginning......you can absolutely rely on it's repeatabillity. I'm sure the rainbow kit is fine, but if you use it and get a different result than the K-1000, it will give you some doubt. From experience, I can tell you to trust the K-1000......I think it's the best comparator block kit on the market.

Interference includes things like high FC levels causing the PH test to return invalid results. That happens to all of the PH tests, but the Taylor tests continue to work up to somewhat higher FC levels than the others.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.