First time SLAMing...question

Jul 15, 2013
Germantown, TN
First spring as a pool owner. We didn't close our pool over the winter as we live in the South with usually mild winters.

My water is emerald green (kinda pretty really) so I'm assuming I need to SLAM. I've read through the SLAM instructions and Pool School but I've got a couple questions.

I have a nice layer of green algae at the bottom of the pool. My thoughts are to:

1. Vacuum first
2. Brush the sides of pool to dislodge everything
3. Take readings and start the SLAM process by dumping in bleach
4. Keep pump/filter going the entire time

Is this essentially the correct steps to be taking?

I would start with 3 and then proceed with the rest. Get the chlorine working.

If there is anything you can scoop out, that would be a first step I guess. Then SLAM and start brushing, vacuuming.

Don't forget to adjust pH before you start dumping in the bleach. Once FC is above 10, the pH test is useless. And you have to keep brushing during the process.

But yes, if you have a visible layer of sludge on the bottom, if you can get that out first, you won't need to kill it with bleach, saving time and money. Do you have a waste setting on your filter? If not, maybe a filter cleaning after the vacuum. If all you've done is vacuum it into the filter, you'll still need to kill it; all you've done is move and concentrate it otherwise.

What they all said, do you have one of the suggested pool test kits with the FAS-DPD chlorine tests? Having a FAS-DPD test that can accurately test FC at high levels (unlike the common OTO or DPD test which are limited to low chlorine levels) is key to successfully completing the SLAM process reliably.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.