Elevated Pump Won't Prime. Is This Normal?

Chuck_Davis

Gold Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Aug 6, 2010
Durham, NC
I have a Hayward SuperPump located roughly 4 feet above the surface of the pool. The pump is 20-25 feet away from the pool, and the piping is 1.5". It won't prime itself. Is this normal given the elevation above the water?

To prime the pump I have to close all the valves, fill the lint basket using a bucket, and quick-like-a-bunny turn on the pump and open a valve. The pump does hold prime as it cycles on and off. The problem only occurs if I open the lint basket or if the pump otherwise loses prime.

Technically the pump should just be able to prime, but at that height/distance, however I would expect it to be very finicky about it. The normal solution is to put a check valve in the suction line down at roughly the height of the pool water. That will keep water in the suction pipe, greatly easing the priming process.

Revisiting this issue as a result of installing a variable speed motor that spins up more slowly than my old 2-speed. The system holds prime without any problem during off cycles, but you have to be very careful to not lose prime when switching the multiport valve to backwash or rinse. I know how to manage this (count to three.......), but I've got some upcoming travel when my wife or a pool service will be taking care of the pool.

Unfortunately the suction lines at pool level are under concrete so I can't install check valves at pool level. I'm thinking of installing a Jandy (flapper) check valve just in front of the pump. This probably wouldn't hold prime when I open the lint basket, but I would hope that it would provide a time cushion when turning the pump off, changing the multiport valve and turning the pump back on. There is a couple feet of head and maybe five feet of pipe up to the top of the filter, so there would be some backpressure on the check valve while the pump is off.

Does anybody see any problems with installing a Jandy check valve in front of the pump?

Does anybody see any problems with installing a Jandy check valve in front of the pump?
Unless it is several feet in front of the pump it will just make things worse. Several feet in front will allow it to provide a supply of water to the pump for a short while. But very close to the pump has no advantages and the very slight flow restriction from the extra fitting/flap/spring will make everything just a little worse.

Here are pictures of what I have to work with. Could I get the Jandy check valve far enough in front of the pump? Would an alternative be to put the Jandy check valve between the pump and the filter? All I need is 5-10 seconds (for a "civilian") to turn off the pump, change the multiport valve and turn the pump back on (which takes a few seconds to spin up).

WP_20140413_002.jpgWP_20140413_005.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.