Results of first TF-100 test ran on fill water

Did you add CYA yet? If not you will lose 50% of your FC every hour in the sun. So not surprising that it is gone. You should be testing and adding bleach everyday ... or soon you will be going through the SLAM process.

I did add CYA using the sock method. So I would think it's all dissolved. Can I test for that now? Around 2/3rds of a jug of 8.25% bleach a day at $2.xx each is not going to be friendly on the budget. I hope the stabilizer is low. The pool does not see a lot of sun, as it's under a number of trees. It does get some. How quick after the bleach is added can I perform the FC test again to verify I'm adding the correct amount?

No pictures of rusty paper towels. I'm just using a combination of the pool cartridge filter and some socks stuffed with pillow stuffing in the skimmers. Below is a picture of the filter one of the times I've cleaned it. I should've taken it before I started cleaning it, but you can get an idea of what it looked like. I cleaned the first day every 2 hours, second day every 4 hours, now I'm on a daily clean. Each time it looks like that roughly. The socks in the skimmer work surprisingly well. Occasionally I'll go to them and squeeze them out a number of times, the water coming out looks like that water coming off the filter below. So not really helping much but enough to keep at it.

photo_zps2d1c7182.jpg

Tested the pool again today, and I was at 1ppm of chlorine. First day I came home to some chlorine in the pool. I added enough bleach to bring it up to 5ppm and will test again in a few to verify I'm adding the correct amount.

I had to add muriatic acid again today. If you recall the first night it was at 7.8, and I was told to keep it at or lower than 7.5 because of my high calcium. I added enough acid to bring it down that night to around 7.2-7.3. I tested yesterday and it was down to 7.5, so I added enough acid to bring it down to 7.2 again. Tested today, it's still at 7.5, so I added another round of acid. Is this normal, will I have to keep adding acid every day? On the plus side it's lowering my high TA, but I'd rather not have the additional daily chemical...

The pH is rising partially due to the high TA. So your additions should eventually become less frequent when the TA drops.

1ppm of FC to too low, you need to go higher than 5ppm if required to keep it above the minimum for your CYA.

Great on the pH. I'll keep an eye on the chlorine. I only added enough to bring the water up to 4ppm yesterday. So I lost 3ppm. I added enough to bring it up to 5ppm today (which I just verified), so if the loss is the same I should be around 2ppm tomorrow. It says the minimum for my CYA of 40 is 3ppm. Could the iron be eating up some of the chlorine, too? I think I read somewhere the chlorine oxidizes the iron, forming a precipitate (rust)?

I am really interested to see this weekend's results. I'll run the full panel again. As of now I'm just doing the 5 drop pH and FC tests in that little kit daily.

As for the iron, not much changed in the water color, but the filter was still pretty bad today. I'm thinking I'm entering the slow progress territory.

Thanks everyone for your help. I'm sure I'll be around again with tomorrow's pH and FC readings.

Sick of me yet? I've got some odd results today that I'd love some insight on.

I cleaned the skimmers first when I got home, as usual. I still have the socks+pillow stuffing in them for the iron. I rung them out several times like I do daily, only this time the water coming out of them was horrible, the worst I've seen. After the skimmers were cleaned I measured pH and chlorine using the "Basic" kit that came with my TF-100 (fill to line, add 5 drops of each reagent, shake, compare colors.) pH was still at 7.5 despite adding enough acid now for a few days in a row to bring it down to 7.2. Okay, so TA is still acting up. I added even more acid. The chlorine test came back as 5ppm, what my target was yesterday. How is possible I didn't lose any chlorine when I've lost so much each day before?

Next I went to do my daily filter clean for the iron. The filter was probably the worst I've ever seen it, full of dark iron, including the first time we cleaned it. It had been gradually getting better.

Theories? I am running the correct daily tests, right? I hit the highest amount of chlorine yesterday when I changed my target to 5ppm (previously I was only going up to 4ppm.) No one swam in it since I last added chlorine. Temperature the same.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You're CYA has probably started working in the water to protect the FC.

I don't know why you are catching a lot more iron. I'll leave that for someone else. How does your water look?

Thanks for the thoughts. CYA would make sense if it takes a few days to fully take hold with maximum effectiveness. My wife informed me that it was overcast at her work all day. We both work near home, it was clear at my job but she works probably half way from my place of work to the house. So if it was overcast here that would explain it some too. I cannot perform a FAS-DPD test right now to test the below 5ppm theory.

My mostly un-educated guess regarding the iron is that I oxidized more of it out of the water when I increased the amount of chlorine in the pool to the most amount it has seen yesterday. I have read where shocking a pool is a way of getting the iron to precipitate out and filter it better. Not sure if that's right.

The water looked about the same as it did yesterday, but it could very well may have been better because it was overcast when I was out there this evening. The water is at a point now where it is hard to see progress. There's definitely iron it, but you might not tell without looking hard, but it's certainly not crystal clear like I'd like it to be. I am not sure how much longer I will want to keep my pump running at near full speed 24/7 for this iron.

Get iron out?

Hi all.

I have a thread in the testing forum, but I see this forum is for beyond the basics, so I thought I'd try to get my specific iron problem handled here. Sorry if I'm breaking a rule.

Topics merged. Please don't ever ask the same question in more than one place. JasonLion

New pool owner. I had to fill it with our private well water, which is high in iron. Believe me, I tried to find alternative fill sources, but the best (and only) option I found after talking to numerous people was a company far south that would deliver only 12,000 gallons for about $1500.

The first day (last Friday) you couldn't see past 12". Since then, I have added bleach, CYA, MA and a bottle of Metal Free. I have been cleaning the filter routinely, every 2 hours the first day, every 4 the second, and now daily. We're at today now, where the water has turned from the murky green to a clear light cyan-ish teal-ish color. There's still quite a bit of iron in it, and you can really tell when you look at the light colored steps as it's easier to see the brown iron in the water.

Is there anything else I can do to speed up the process of the iron removal? I have been running the pump on max speed since Friday except for a small duration when I let it go half speed to cool down. I have read where I might be able to shock the pool with chlorine to precipitate the iron out and allow it to be filtered more easily? Is this true, and is it a good method? I almost think there's some truth to it because I brought my pool up to 5ppm chlorine yesterday, the most it's been (only brought it up to 4ppm the previous days), and today my filter was extremely bad, probably worse than even the first time we cleaned the filter of the iron.

For more information, including water progress pics, see my build thread and this topic.

I believe that is what I bought from Leslie's and put in the pool:
http://www.lesliespool.com/natural-chemistry-14834-metal-free-1-liter/14834.htm

The bottle said it was enough for a 20,000 gal pool but for stronger concentrations of metal it may require a higher dosage, so I just dumped the whole thing in the pool. I realize it has to be replenished weekly. I am hoping I can get the water crystal clear though, which I don't believe the sequesterant works towards that? It just prevents the iron from staining the liner and stairs? Would I even have to continue to add it if my filter removes most/all of the iron?

I think it's just a waiting game. It's clearly still getting iron out. The progress was just exponential... and I'm at the long slowly progressing portion reaching the end.

Another day :)

Chlorine was down from 5 to about 3. Added enough to raise it to 5ppm. pH was back up all the way to 7.8 so I added enough MA to bring it down to 7.2. I'm into my 2nd bottle of 32.45% MA already. I'll be interested to see my TA level come this weekend. Filter was probably the cleanest I've seen it, but still a fair amount of brown murky water came out of it as I cleaned it. I might switch to an every other day filter cleaning routine soon.

Here's a picture of the water. It's definitely getting there. Still a fair amount, which becomes more apparent when you look at the stairs.

0C590103-61B1-460C-8C08-1F314DB0C06C_zpsvgtflwxs.jpg

B1CA3FF3-83D3-46F6-AE1C-B189417DD824_zpse8uvmcao.jpg

Back again, same results as yesterday, although not quite as high of a pH. Today I raised the chlorine from 3 to 5ppm, and lowered the pH from 7.5 to 7.2. The filter was about the same as yesterday, I think I'm going to go to an every other day cleaning of it now. Unfortunately I will probably be adding about 1-2" of water this weekend, but hopefully the added iron will be minimal. When I run the full battery of tests this weekend, the updated TA level will give me an idea of how much longer I'll be battling this rising pH?

I'll also probably be putting my pump on a schedule soon (it has 3 stages I can program with different speeds and durations that it cycles thru every 24 hours). It has been running at max speed for about a week now.

Pictures. Water is looking pretty good but not perfect of course.

5D092C37-B9DC-48A3-8B00-7A37A713CAB6_zps9evupl91.jpg

F10608FA-BA27-4C9C-B323-EDD5D259547F_zpsdnryqp0s.jpg

E210BE84-E847-4ED2-B4D7-EF96CF31963B_zpsmrjoc8ro.jpg

Hey Brandon... That sequesterant must have helped a LOT! The pool looks good! You may find if your FC goes up and the pool starts turning colors again, you'll have to redose! It looks really nice and is coming along!!! You're going to have an awesome summer in your new pool! :goodjob:

Hi Casey, you think it was the sequesterant? I added that about a week ago now. I just thought the improvements was from the cartridge filter removing a lot of the iron... I've been cleaning that filter non-stop... I thought the sequesterant was just there to bond with the iron and prevent it from depositing stains on anything, not necessarily make it easier to filter or clear in color. I'm not really sure though, there doesn't seem to be a lot of information on iron removal out there, at least my Google-fu isn't finding it! :lol:

Either way I hope I don't have to continuously add it. That bottle wasn't free.

It's funny, I'm getting excited over the idea of running the tests tomorrow. I can't wait to see my TA and CYA levels.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.