Dumb question :-/

SuzyAbbott

LifeTime Supporter
Dec 29, 2011
Hamilton, NJ
So the filters running on the new matrix pool. Got the barracuda working one I need to empty the pump basket. How do I stop the water to open the pump basket lid? It's installed with hoses and no valves like our old intex had. I'm standing here like duh what am I missing!

Any help for a confused newbie would be greatly appreciated!,

Often you can use tennis balls to block the skimmer and return from inside the pool. The skimmer tends to be fairly easy but it helps to have an assistant to block the return at the same moment or just after you open the pump up, otherwise the tennis ball tends to move away from the return.

back when I had a more regular above ground pool (a sears good - vs better or best LOL) it came with a little plastic cap-like object that went into the return eyeball and a white rubber stopper with string for inside the skimmer. I eventually bought some black rubber stoppers in different sizes from a lab supply place and they worked fine - a wine cork will work in a pinch for the eyeball but it may break off so be careful with the corkscrew if you need to extract it.

A 16oz water bottle should work in the skimmer, the return eye should have a disk to replace the eye. If not then a ping pong ball will work. Block the skimmer, then crack open the pump basket lid or open the pump drain. You want water flowing into the return from the pool. Then vacuum should hold the ping pong ball in place.

Sent from my VS870 4G using Tapatalk

I must be the only one who grabs 2 shovels and props them against the pool and ties the hoses to them above the water line. :mrgreen:

It works!!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You can use the bulb from a turkey baster for the skimmer and for the return. Put one in the skimmer, fill the bulb with water then turn it open end down into the bottom of the skimmer. For the return, remove the return cover on the inside of the pool, fill a baster bulb with water then put the open end of the bulb into the return hole. Voila! Cheap plugs. The Dollar Tree has turkey basters for $1 each.

I was standing there with the hubby and we were both looking at it scratching our heads like "humph" we must be missing something :) We're all good now, next year we'll plan to throw some valves on so it's easy to deal with, until then I put the sock over the skimmer basket to catch the pollen until spring has sprung. Thanks for all your help everyone, we christened the pool this weekend and it was AWESOME! The solar heaters had it up to 89 yesterday so I had to actually shut them down. not bad for mid may in Jersey!!

We've been open since end of march (the wind opened it for us!) We've got 4 20' ecosaver panels in direct sun. you can barely touch the water coming out of the hose when it's full sun. We use a separate intex filter just for the panels so we can run as needed and not affect the main filter system. it's awesome! :)

I waited 7 months to get my feet wet, I wasn't waiting another weekend before christening it!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.