Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Dumb question :-/

1. Back To Top    #1

Dumb question :-/

So the filters running on the new matrix pool. Got the barracuda working one I need to empty the pump basket. How do I stop the water to open the pump basket lid? It's installed with hoses and no valves like our old intex had. I'm standing here like duh what am I missing!

Any help for a confused newbie would be greatly appreciated!,

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Dumb question :-/

Often you can use tennis balls to block the skimmer and return from inside the pool. The skimmer tends to be fairly easy but it helps to have an assistant to block the return at the same moment or just after you open the pump up, otherwise the tennis ball tends to move away from the return.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Ok great. I'll wait till Saturday when the gangs all here! Thanks much!!

4. Back To Top    #4

I have been pondering this too and I am wondering if cutting a piece of Styrofoam or maybe finding a rubber stopper of some sort would work.
    Sharkline Reprieve 15x52 (3/14). Still using Intex 2650 Sand Filter with Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 3/4 HP pump (6/15). Solar Cover cut into strips for easy removal, (2) 2*10 Space Saver solar panels. Swim Jet HD Robot (by Aquabot) (3/15). Chlorine Liquidator (4 gal). 4 person hot tub. Hard pipe is the way to go for improved flow! Retired Lil Shark (3/15). Starite Max E Therm 333k BTU Propane Heater w/ 24 gal tank (7/15).

5. Back To Top    #5

back when I had a more regular above ground pool (a sears good - vs better or best LOL) it came with a little plastic cap-like object that went into the return eyeball and a white rubber stopper with string for inside the skimmer. I eventually bought some black rubber stoppers in different sizes from a lab supply place and they worked fine - a wine cork will work in a pinch for the eyeball but it may break off so be careful with the corkscrew if you need to extract it.
    somewhere around 6,800 gal 18 x 4 foot round Intex Ultra Frame AG, finished filling August 29, 2013. toy pump w/ "A" cartridge up and running next day --- July 2015 upgraded to Krystal Clear 3000 GPH pump and 16" sand filter --- May 2016 Intex auto cleaner and in July salt system and Hayward skimmer

6. Back To Top    #6

A 16oz water bottle should work in the skimmer, the return eye should have a disk to replace the eye. If not then a ping pong ball will work. Block the skimmer, then crack open the pump basket lid or open the pump drain. You want water flowing into the return from the pool. Then vacuum should hold the ping pong ball in place.

17500 gallon Doughboy AGP, Hayward DE filter, waiting for the 1.5hp DB pump to go out.
    Learn to take the advice here and be trouble free or use the pool store's advice. "You can't do both and get very far"

7. Back To Top    #7

I must be the only one who grabs 2 shovels and props them against the pool and ties the hoses to them above the water line.

It works!!!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

8. Back To Top    #8

Smart girl ^^^ 😎
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

9. Back To Top    #9

So I wandered over to the friendly neighborhood pool store and for a buck 98 each bought rubber plugs for the skimmer and jet. Tomorrow we'll see if it works!! Thanks all!

10. Back To Top    #10

All good suggestion. I'll check the local pool store.
    Sharkline Reprieve 15x52 (3/14). Still using Intex 2650 Sand Filter with Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 3/4 HP pump (6/15). Solar Cover cut into strips for easy removal, (2) 2*10 Space Saver solar panels. Swim Jet HD Robot (by Aquabot) (3/15). Chlorine Liquidator (4 gal). 4 person hot tub. Hard pipe is the way to go for improved flow! Retired Lil Shark (3/15). Starite Max E Therm 333k BTU Propane Heater w/ 24 gal tank (7/15).

11. Back To Top    #11

You can use the bulb from a turkey baster for the skimmer and for the return. Put one in the skimmer, fill the bulb with water then turn it open end down into the bottom of the skimmer. For the return, remove the return cover on the inside of the pool, fill a baster bulb with water then put the open end of the bulb into the return hole. Voila! Cheap plugs. The Dollar Tree has turkey basters for $1 each.
    Angie M.
    AG, 26' x 52" Intex Ultra Frame, vinyl, 14667 gal. And LOVING it!!! Hayward S15922S 1HP, 2SP pump and Hayward S220T Sand Filter. Hard plumbed with PVC, added second return, intex SWG, Hydro Pool widemouth skimmer. Set up in May 2012!
    N.E. Florida. TF100 - Best investment EVER! (Well, for the pool anyway)

12. Back To Top    #12

I don't think this was a dumb question.
    I would have been in the same boat the first time I had to work with the pump, filter or SWG cell.
    THANKS FOR ASKING!!!!!
    Gerry
    27' x 54" AG Salt Water Pool Installed 2014, Hayward 23" Sand Filter, 1 HP 2-Speed Power-Flo Matrix Pump, AQ-TROL SWG, TF-100 Test Kit

13. Back To Top    #13

I use one of those large bouncy rubber balls. Perfect fit.

14. Back To Top    #14

I was standing there with the hubby and we were both looking at it scratching our heads like "humph" we must be missing something We're all good now, next year we'll plan to throw some valves on so it's easy to deal with, until then I put the sock over the skimmer basket to catch the pollen until spring has sprung. Thanks for all your help everyone, we christened the pool this weekend and it was AWESOME! The solar heaters had it up to 89 yesterday so I had to actually shut them down. not bad for mid may in Jersey!!
    24' Sharkline Matrix. Coral Reef Liner. Clearwater II Cartridge Filter. Saltron Retro Salt WaterGenerator. 4x20 Ecosaver Solar Panels, Rover Jr. robot vac. Fiberglass Steps and Lifesaver pool fence/gate.

Previous pool: 9x18 intex with salt water generator and vinylworks 5x10 deck.

15. Back To Top    #15

I'm so jealous!!! I got mine to 75 yesterday!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

16. Back To Top    #16

We've been open since end of march (the wind opened it for us!) We've got 4 20' ecosaver panels in direct sun. you can barely touch the water coming out of the hose when it's full sun. We use a separate intex filter just for the panels so we can run as needed and not affect the main filter system. it's awesome!

I waited 7 months to get my feet wet, I wasn't waiting another weekend before christening it!!
    24' Sharkline Matrix. Coral Reef Liner. Clearwater II Cartridge Filter. Saltron Retro Salt WaterGenerator. 4x20 Ecosaver Solar Panels, Rover Jr. robot vac. Fiberglass Steps and Lifesaver pool fence/gate.

Previous pool: 9x18 intex with salt water generator and vinylworks 5x10 deck.