Poor quality resurfacing or something else???

mbott

Jul 22, 2013
We had our pool resurfaced in November. The company also added StartupTec during the refill and I purchased the ten day service option where they sent people to brush down the pool and treat as needed to ensure that the surface cured correctly. Four months later, my pool walls look like they are dripping. I've contacted the company and am awaiting their response, but in the meantime I thought I would get opinions from this pool of knowledge (pun totally intended!). Anyone have any idea what can cause this? It is all around the pool, mostly toward the top. The pictures arent great, but I don't have an underwater camera. You'll get the idea.

Attachments

• Pictures1.jpg
    Pictures1.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 177
How often did they brush it? When we had our pool installed we had to brush it every day for a month. How did they fill the pool? Hopefully they put a hose with a rag tied to the end to act as a diffuser. Where did you get those test results? They look like pool store results which more often than not are totally inaccurate. You are showing a CC level of 1.5 which means you need to perform the SLAM process. Since you got the "Ten Day Service Option" I would throw it in the contractors lap and ask for it to be corrected. I am sure someone with a lot more knowledge than myself will weigh in with more informed advice. Good luck,

Do you maintain the pool yourself or have someone do it - do you know how the acid is added? It looks a little like a stain acid would cause if it was being poured down the side of the pool hence why it's mainly at the top.

The marks seem to look like drip marks, and in one photo kind of look like they continue across the bottom of the pool. I am I correct on that? It is difficult to be sure from the photos.

Yes, they do look like drip marks and yes, there are similar markings across the bottom of the pool (good eye!). The worst is around the top, but there are large gouge like markings at the bottom (they are smooth tho) and some dark shadowing.

I loved this contractor until the day after I signed my name to the quote. They have been very shady ever since. I just want to get others' opinions of what this could be from so that I know what I may be up against when I talk to him about it later. I have owned a pool for seven months. I'm at a disadvantage.

Do you maintain the pool yourself or have someone do it - do you know how the acid is added? It looks a little like a stain acid would cause if it was being poured down the side of the pool hence why it's mainly at the top.

I maintain the pool myself. I add muriatic acid regularly since the resurfacing since the pH has been very high. I've consulted a few pool professionals who said that would be normal for a few months as the composite leeches from the walls. I still brush it down about four or five times a week and it does still cloud up. I actually just bought a new brush hoping that would help! So I add muriatic acid, mixed into water and poured into the deep end near a jet but away from a wall, to chase the pH level back down. The most obvious picture (the first one) is actually in the shallow end of the pool - no where near a jet or where I'd add checmicals.

Did it rain at all during the fill process? Looks like the staining my pool suffered when it was filled during a rain shower. They put plastic sheeting down but the rain found its way under the plastic and over the coping. That's all it took and the drip pattern remains visible over a year later.

The day after they did my pebble tec they acid washed the pool to remove the excess plaster and clean the pebble. The two guys used a container and poured the acid from the top of the walls washing it to the bottom, they were pretty careful to do it evenly although I can see some inconsistency's on the bottom. It kind of looks like they didn't get the acid wash even so there are areas that are more exposed than others creating the streaks.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
There are several possibilities as to the cause of the streaks.
Sometimes plasterers will clean the tile at the end of the job using water, which may drip down and affect the plaster surface down the walls. One might think that the discoloration effect would be immediate, but that is not true. If a plaster surface has been compromised and weakened during the application, it may take several months to visibly show up.

Perhaps the pool was sprayed down with water immediately after finishing and while being the filled with water. Unfortunately, that is a big mistake. Again, that can compromise a plaster surface and weaken it, which can take some time to show up. And as mentioned above, rain could also cause this condition.

The bottom line is that this most likely occurred before the pool was completely filled with water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.