Green pool - High TDS - Told to Drain?

Hey everyone! I just purchased a home in north central FL with an inground pool and spa. The pool was completely clear a month ago and when I showed up to close, it is now green (dark green with frogs swimming around). The pool company came out and told us our TDS was almost 4,000 and the pool needs completely drained, scrubbed, and refilled. We were also quoted a much cheaper price to just clean it up the one time but the pool person said it would be difficult to keep clean due to the high TDS. We would be charged almost double for pool service due to the extra amount of chemistry. I grew up in Ohio with pools my entire life and I have never heard this. The only reason we are even considering pool service is we are out-of-state transitioning to FL.

Your opinions would be greatly appreciated.

- Jenna

Welcome to the forum. :lol: Take charge of the pool and manage it yourself. TDS is not a critical factor in pool management and should be ignored.

If you commit to managing the pool yourself, we can help but you will have to read, learn and ask lot's of questions.

A good starting point is to read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School.

If you decide to have a service, don't use ANYONE who talks to you about TDS or phosphates.

Your pool does not need to be drained....it simply has to have the impurities (algae, frogs, dirt, etc.) cleaned from it so only clear water remains.

Pools in Florida use water exactly like the pools in Ohio. :D

Welcome to TFP!

Ignore your pool company. You can clean it up yourself, and the TDS won't be an issue. Then you can take care of it yourself and have better water at a fraction of the cost of a pool service in just a few minutes a day.

Check out the following articles: Defeating Algae
and Turning Your Green Swamp Back into a Sparkling Oasis and read some of the introductory articles in Pool School It's even easier than it sounds. If you need clarification, we are here to help.

Wonder if when they say "TDS is too high" they really mean "CYA is too high" ?

I think it's their excuse to get the water drained, but they actually have no idea what's going on. TDS is an irrelevant measure of pool chemistry, and none of the pool stores seem to understand the CYA/FC relationship.

Jenna, welcome to the forum. Unfortunately, you were told a whole bunch of nonsense. If you're willing to learn, we're more than happy to help you take control of your pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.