Plaster pool curing and acid use?

Isaac-1

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
May 10, 2010
SW Louisiana
I don't own a plaster pool and have limited experience with them, someone that does not use the internet asked me a question that I don't know the answer to, so I thought I would ask here. Do plaster pools always use more acid than an equilvelant fiberglass or vinyl pool (say two pools next door to each other on the same water supply), or is this only curing the curing phase, if only during the curing phase how long does this last?

thanks Ike

I think it would only be in the curing phase, everything else being equal. And I usually see it stated it can last up to a year ... but, curious to see if others agree.

Curious what chemgeek has to say. I would think it depends on the CSI and the impact the surface has...

My knee jerk says yes, but I have no empirical evidence.

During the first year, yes certainly more acid required for a plaster pool. After that everything should be the same as for any other surface, the pool may or may not require acid depending on the situation.

It also may depend on the quality of the plaster. Well made plaster may cure more quickly or consistently and completely so may stop rising in pH more quickly. Poorly made plaster may not form as solid a surface and may continue to release calcium hydroxide. This can happen if there are surface imperfections creating blistering or calcium nodules. My own pool has some of this which started to show up after around 7 years which is much sooner than it should and indicates an imperfect initial plaster job. Some of it may be due to some settling given it's a new pool, but some of it is clearly rushing the plaster job creating voids. When these nodules started to show up and "drip" on the side of the pool, I noticed the pH rising much more quickly than usual and needing to add more acid than usual. Now in year 10 things have settled down a bit and acid usage is closer to the "normal" relatively small amount needed during years 1-6.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.