Fill water high in both CH and TA

TxSkye

Apr 23, 2008
Danbury, Texas
I have a few questions regarding high CH and TA. I have an 18’ x 48” easy set vinyl. I fill my pool with well water, which is high in both CH-640 and TA-500. My current test readings are:

FC 4
CC 0
TC 4
PH 7.2 (I am working on my TA and aerating)
TA 310
CH 640
CYA 30

I use 6% bleach as my main source of chlorine, and keep the small 1” pucks that go in the filter as an alternative if I’m away for the weekend. I know they add CYA, but since I empty the pool each year, I don’t believe they would bring it too high to be manageable. Pool is in full sun all day and gets a fair amount of use daily.

Since I use the same well water to top off the pool I cannot do anything about the high CH. I have added 80# of solar salt just to improve the feel of the water. Knowing that each time I add water I’m raising my TA again should I continue the cycle of lowering it, and if I never get it down to the recommended level, what do you suggest as an acceptable alternative? With a higher TA at what level should I keep PH and FC?

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Water looks good!

pool03.jpg

Rigged up an aerator with a piece of flex hose and an old vacuum attachment. :lol:

pool02.jpg

Try to keep your PH between 7.2 and 7.4 and keep working on lowering TA. Your TA and CH levels are extremely high, your fill water is right on the edge of scaling even with the PH at 7.2. By keeping TA down you will still have some safety margin before scaling starts even when it is right after adding water with the PH is 7.4.

Thanks swimgirl, I thought it was kinda cool myself, for a quick DIY :-D

Thank you Jason, I was worried about scaling and cloudy water. When I let the pH get up to 7.8 it seems as though the water gets slightly cloudy. Everyone else says the water looks real clear, but I can see a difference. I'll continue to work on the TA and keep pH at 7.2 - 7.4 :goodjob:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.