Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CYA (as in see ya later pool store)

1. Back To Top    #1

CYA (as in see ya later pool store)

So, last week, I bought granular shock and more tablets...then I remembered the BBB forum, and did my research on pool school. Ordered my kit on Amazon (through the link), it should be arriving today. My tablets in my chlorinator are almost gone, so it's BBB for me!
    Decided to return the 15 lbs of tablets I bought. (Already opened the shock and used the one...so i'll just hang onto the other 4). Guy at the store asked why I was returning and I said I was going to use just liquid chlorine (bleach) - he looked at me like I was crazy. "You need more than just liquid chlorine", and hinted at some other stuff. "so you still want to return this?" I said "yep" - he decided to ask one more time. Yes, please.
    Headed to Aldi after that and got a 4pk to get started. Thanks everyone for your help, i'm sure i'll have questions soon lol.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: CYA (as in see ya later pool store)

You made a good choice
    Although you should have got the TF-100

Please add your pool details to your signature and location to your profile as described HERE as it will help us help you when you start asking questions.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

You probably will need more than just bleach. But let's see some tests to be sure.

That is the point of the method here.... test, calculate, add as required, test again to verify.

I use primarily bleach (actually liquid shock which is 10% bleach) and acid. Plus an occasional dose of calcium increaser, cal-hypo, or tablets when such use is deemed acceptable based on testing.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

4. Back To Top    #4

I got the K-2006 kit. I'll post the results tonight or tomorrow AM. I will also update my signature. Thanks for the help guys.

5. Back To Top    #5

Here's my info from my first test. Kinda overwhelming. I have about 3 tablets left in the chlorinator. Maybe need to turn down the flow from a 4 to a 3.
    What should I do?

12,000 gallons
    5.4 FC
    7.4 PH
    80 TA
    340 CH (maybe I did this one incorrect? )
    50 CYA
    pool 78 degrees

6. Back To Top    #6

I'd stop using those tablets.Your CYA is at 50 already, and you won't want it much higher than that.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

7. Back To Top    #7

Ok. Tablets removed. Ill save them for a rainy day. No pun intended

8. Back To Top    #8

you wont regret your decision to go BBB. And for me, bleach has really been all I have needed. I added borax at the beginning of the season last year when I first set up my pool. when I closed last year, I brought it to shock level with bleach and covered it. Opened it last week it had 12ppm FC in it and she was crystal clear!!!

everything is right on the money and I have only added 20 oz of bleach per day. pH at 7.7, CYA a bit low at 35 ppm for a pool in full sun all day, but im going to wait til water temp gets up and retest.

- - - Updated - - -

also, you dont need the TF-100, while im sure its nice, the K-2006 kit is fine and will test everything you need.
    Partially buried Doughboy Desert Spring 16 x 32, sport pool, with 7 ft deep middle, 20,000 gallons, Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1.5 HP 2 speed pump, 250 lb sandfilter, 2 Doughboy skimmers and 2 returns. 2 cascade fountains.
    Taylor K-2006 kit. Zodiac Barracuda Ranger suction side cleaner.
    TFPC method and is crystal clear every day thanks to TFP!!!

9. Back To Top    #9

Awesome. Glad BBB is the way to go. Should I add baking soda to get my TA up?

Good to hear on the kit. Felt like Bill Nye the Science Guy on the first go-round
    Last edited by mjj047s; 04-04-2014 at 08:36 PM. Reason: smart phone auto corrects everything incorrectly

10. Back To Top    #10

You will just run out of the CYA and FAS-DPD reagents quickly with the K2006, which is one reason why we recommend the TF-100.

But the tests are identical and both use Taylor reagents.

And leave the TA, it is perfectly fine where it is.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

11. Back To Top    #11

If you have a vinyl pool the CH and the test for it is relatively unimportant.

If you have a plaster pool, then the CH becomes is very important, so learn how to test and trust the CH test if thats the case.

Quote Originally Posted by mjj047s View Post
    Here's my info from my first test. Kinda overwhelming. I have about 3 tablets left in the chlorinator. Maybe need to turn down the flow from a 4 to a 3.
    What should I do?

12,000 gallons
    5.4 FC
    7.4 PH
    80 TA
    340 CH (maybe I did this one incorrect? )
    50 CYA
    pool 78 degrees
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!