Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Black algae on fountain

1. Back To Top    #1

Black algae on fountain

I started servicing a new salt system pool. It has two fountains; one of them looks perfect, but the other one has black algae. I tried to brush that with little luck. Can anybody please recommend any chemicals and/or anything else on how I can remove this algae?

Thanks and appreciate your kind feedback.
    Rancho Santa Margarita, CA
    Gallons? Unknown. Medium sized pool.
    Filter? I think cartidge. Big beer can looking device with pressure valve on top running around 30 PSI
    Inground plaster pool.
    Spa above spills into pool. Waterslide above Spa spills into pool.
    Heater: Purex Triton MiniMax
    Vacuum: Hayward Navigator
    Pool guy does regular water maintenance.

2. Back To Top    #2
    DFW, Texas

Re: Black algae on fountain

Removing black algae will take equal doses of patience and persistence. If it's just the fountain, you can apply some chlorine and then brush the area. The brushing is just as important as chlorine (FC) in removing black algae. The brushing is necessary to remove the protective film that black algae forms in order to protect itself. Removing this film will allow the FC to work at killing the algae. However, I would test the pool water and post those results. It very well could be that algae is hiding somewhere else in the pool. Be sure to check behind pool lights and around ladders as these are some of algae's favorite hiding spots. Do not bother with algaecides of any kind. They are useless once you have an algae outbreak.

Once you post some test results, we'll take it from there. Also, a pic would be helpful.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.