Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool Opening - where to start?

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool Opening - where to start?

Sorry for the newbie question but I want to know where to start when my pool gets uncovered in three weeks. I purchase the recommended TF-100 test kit but am not quite sure of the sequence of tests to perform. For example, do I start with the alkalinity and then FC etc.? Is there anywhere this procedure is posted already? TIA
    1) 21,000 gallons
    2) Hayward cartridge filter with Super Pump
    3) Inground
    4) 16 x 32 vinyl liner
    5) Mineral Springs SWG

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Pool Opening - where to start?

Is your pool up and running? Always circulate the water for 30 minutes or so before you test. Take your pool sample about a foot below the surface.

The sequence is not at all critical. I would suggest you do them in the sequence on the instruction card and post your results.

Do you have a good grasp of "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

My pool will up and running in three weeks. I have read all the basic information and have a reasonable understanding of the chemistry and procedure. I'm just a little confused about the sequence of the tests and the addition of the chemicals. For example, do I try to address the alkalinity and then add bleach to boost the FC? Can I do these simultaneously? That kind of stuff.
    1) 21,000 gallons
    3) Inground
    4) 16 x 32 vinyl liner
    5) Mineral Springs SWG

4. Back To Top    #4

Like Dave said, do the tests in the order of instructions on the test kit.

Your question about what to adjust and when is a little more difficult, because it depends on what your results are. I was trying to write a general answer, but I came up with too many caveats, so I can't really even do that. If your CYA level is sky high, you'll have to drain. If you have to SLAM, the process will be slightly different that if the pool is clean and you're just opening.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks. It makes sense. I'm just trying to anticipate what I'll need but I guess I won't know that until I complete the tests.
    1) 21,000 gallons
    3) Inground
    4) 16 x 32 vinyl liner
    5) Mineral Springs SWG

6. Back To Top    #6

Sorry we can't give better answers, but we definitely don't want to tell you to buy something, only to find out you don't need it. I guess you can have bleach on hand, cause you'll need that no matter what. If you want to be ready, you can price and source muriatic acid, granular CYA, and baking soda. Don't buy anything yet, but if you know where to get it and what the best deal is, you can get it fast if/when you need it.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks to all. That's the conclusion I came to as well. I'll let you know the testing results when the pool is commissioned.
    1) 21,000 gallons
    3) Inground
    4) 16 x 32 vinyl liner
    5) Mineral Springs SWG