Desert Aire, Dectron....What options do I have for dehumidification systems?

Aug 28, 2013
Hi,

I am in charge of maintenance for a couple of hotels.

One of my properties has a Desert Aire system in it which has done a good job for us but now the remote condenser has gone kaput and will cost us a little over $8k to replace.

We decided to check our options and see what upgrading the entire system would cost. We got a quote of $45k for a new Desert Aire which about knocked me over when I saw it! I am waiting on a quote for a Dectron system as well.

I was wondering what you guys use and what is considered to be the best? Those two are the only ones I have any experience with and both seem to be good systems. Are there any other companies I should look at? Does $45k seem high?

Thanks so much for any advice!

Welcome,

Mostly we deal with residential pool applications here, so you may be hard pressed to find an answer to your question. There may be a couple of people here who might know how to help. Sorry, but we are mostly just regular folks who are here to learn about backyard swimming pools.

You don't say what size the system is or where you're located so we can't make specific suggestions. And as Patrick said, we're mostly homeowners and not many of us have experience with large dehumidification systems.

I will say that depending on how old the system is and what you mean by "kaput", I'd seriously consider just replacing the condenser. If it's an environmental issue that caused the failure of the condenser you may look at going with a different metal for the replacement.

The best way to minimize a humidity problem in any indoor pool installation is to install an automatic cover like one from CoverPools, Aquamatic, etc. It can quickly pay for itself with savings from heat loss, chemicals, adds safety, and more. I once bought a home with a gunite indoor pool, roof failed due to humidity/condensation problem, numerous other problems. An automatic cover solved all. I am retired, not selling anything, but wold never install any pool - indoor or out without such cover. You turn a switch, the cover rolls back beneath a bench I built, you swim - after that - turn switch, pool is closed. No kid can fall into the pool, no leaves, no need to dehumidifiers, etc. Hope this helps.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.