Opening a AG pool last used in 2012

Hello All!

I stumbled on this site as I am preparing to open a pool for the first time ever and I was interested in the BBB method. I've been digging through pool school and the forum for various info. I bought a house back in Dec. '13 and it has an above ground pool.
This house was almost a foreclosure so the pool had not been taken care of or used at all in '13. I know the only maintenance that was done on it was in 2012.
All that being said I was able to get the pool pump and filter off with out any major freezing happening (or so I hope). I do have a TF-100 test kit on the way.

Here's what I know about the pool:
29'x 15.5' Oval and I measured the potential depth at the skimmer of 3.3' so that's about 9,800 gals
The pump is a Century LASAR 2.0 HP SPL 2 speed
The filter is a Proclean PCCF-125 Cartridge
The water is currently green/brown and there is alot of (I'm guessing alge) coating the bottom of the pool.

My opening game plan:
Once the water gets warmer I will hook up the pump/filter.
Invest heavily in skimmer socks/queens size knee high panty hose
Use some plastic scrub brushes to clean bottom/sides
Shock (or SLAM) the pool with 5 gals of bleach (according the calculator) to kill whatever is left after I clean it all up.

Does anyone see any flaws in my plan or have any advice? I'd very much appreciate it!

Once the opening is done I'll probably have more questions but for now I just want to get it clean again.

Thanks for all your help!

Defel

Does anyone see any flaws in my plan or have any advice?
You've got a pretty good start. I would......

1. Reread "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School.....get a good grip on the ranges you are shooting for and the function of each parameter. Read "How to Shock Your Pool" up in Pool School. You will need a lot more chlorine than you think. It is a VERY common misconception that the SLAM is a one-time dose of chlorine but it is continual multiple doses to maintain your FC at SLAM value until your pool is clear.

2. Get all your plumbing hooked up and check to see it all functions correctly.

3. Clean as much solid material from your pool as possible. Can you see the bottom?

4. Start the SLAM process. Your skimmer socks and cartridges will, at first, get clogged at an alarming rate.....that's OK.....just keep cleaning them out, it'll get better quickly.

5. As noted above, follow your SLAM process to completion it will take multiple doses of chlorine and may require several days to get crystal clear, but it will get there.

6. Always ask lot's of questions

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

You are off to a good start. Just want to point out that you need to follow the SLAM Process ... it is not a one time chlorine addition. You need to be testing and adding bleach at least twice a day, likely more at the start. And do not be surprised if it takes a week plus to get the water cleared up. It did not get how it is now in a day, so don't expect to clean it up that quickly either.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.