Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How often should I run all of the tests in the kit?

1. Back To Top    #1

How often should I run all of the tests in the kit?

The T-2006 kit will arrive at my home on Friday. I will do my first real test this weekend. My question is, how often should I run all of the tests in the kit? Should I continue to use the cheap two test kit from Walmart for quick tests? If this has been covered on the forum, please provide the link.
    Sharkline Reprieve 15x52 (3/14). Still using Intex 2650 Sand Filter with Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 3/4 HP pump (6/15). Solar Cover cut into strips for easy removal, (2) 2*10 Space Saver solar panels. Swim Jet HD Robot (by Aquabot) (3/15). Chlorine Liquidator (4 gal). 4 person hot tub. Hard pipe is the way to go for improved flow! Retired Lil Shark (3/15). Starite Max E Therm 333k BTU Propane Heater w/ 24 gal tank (7/15).

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How often should I run all of the tests in the kit?

This answer will change over time, but as a new user/tester, here's my advice:

FAS-DPD for FC and CC - every day
    pH - every day

TA, CH, and CYA - every 7-14 days, or after a major water change

You can use the OTO chlorine test if your minimum FC level is below 5. Since I keep my CYA higher, and my min FC level is 4, I always run the FAS-DPD test for FC.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

3. Back To Top    #3

It's a pain.........but I highly suggest you keep a calendar log of your testing. Not just what the levels were and what you brought them to, but "conditions" as well. Weather, rain, when you backwashed or pumped out water, bather load on the pool, and temperature variations. After the first season you'll be able to test certain things less and pretty much know what to expect from the condition changes. Always bump up FC before a party and before a big rain if you can.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

The testing schedule will vary depending on the time of year. Here's the testing schedule I use...
    • Chlorine (FC): From your sig, I'm assuming your current pool is manually chlorinated (your old one was apparently SWG). Going with this assumption, you would test FC daily using the FAS-DPD test. If my assumption about your current pool being manually chlorinated is incorrect, please clarify as that would change my answer.
    • pH: 3-4 times a week
    • TA: Once a week
    • CH, CYA, Salt: Monthly or whenever there is a significant water replacement

BTW, I would remove the part about your old pool from your sig - it is irrelevant. Otherwise, you run the risk that someone will see the letters SWG in your sig and give you advice for a SWG pool (like I almost did).
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

5. Back To Top    #5

I used to test PH/FC every day when I first got my test kit. CH/TA weekly, CYA monthly. After I got comfortable with the pool, I now test PH/FC weekly. CH/TA monthly CYA monthly or every 2 months.
    Go overboard at first, keep a log, track what is going on with the pool/usage/people. Get a feel of what is happening.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by bobodaclown View Post
    Go overboard at first, keep a log, track what is going on with the pool/usage/people. Get a feel of what is happening.
    ^This is great advice. After a few weeks of this, you will be very in tune with your pool.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

7. Back To Top    #7

I personally use an Excel spreadsheet to keep track of testing and conditions of the pool. Just takes a few minutes to record data each day.
    11,700 gallon 21' round 54" deep all-resin AGP - June 2012
    Waterway 1HP 2-speed pump / 100 sq ft cartridge filter
    Hayward 150,000btu Natural Gas heater
    I use and recommend the TF-100 for testing

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Vette
    I personally use an Excel spreadsheet to keep track of testing and conditions of the pool. Just takes a few minutes to record data each day.
    I do the exact same thing, though I record weekly on the day I run all three of these tests: FC, pH, and TA as well as on the one day of the month where I run these plus the monthly tests (Salt, CYA, CH). I also record the pool water temp, the range of air temperatures for that week (available on weather.com and accuweather.com among others), rainfall, and any other weather anomalies. Doesn't take much time and gives you valuable trend information. This is my third year doing this and it's useful to compare things for a given month across several years.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

9. Back To Top    #9

Like the others have said you will get a feel for the stability of your pool quickly enough. If you are following our methods using bleach / liquid chlorine and not adding any cal-hypo or stabilized dry chlorine products, I would suggest a schedule starting out of testing FC and pH every 1 or 2 days, TA every 2 weeks, and CH and CYA monthly. (people with very hard water may want to test CH more often, but since you are in central florida I suspect your water is not that hard) Over time as you learn the stability of your pool you may stretch this out, in case of major storm / rainfall you may want to run all the tests to check for dilution changes. pH, CH and TA are likely the ones that you will see the most varibility on need to test depending on your water. For example I have very low CH fill water, and vinyl liner pool that is not susceptable to low CH problems like plaster pools are, so I generally only check CH a couple of times per year, my pH is also very stable so only test it every few weeks, on average I use about a quart of acid per year to adjust pH, by contrast we have members that measure their acid use in gallons per week, for those people pH testing must be much more frequent.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by BoDarville View Post
    The testing schedule will vary depending on the time of year. Here's the testing schedule I use...
    • Chlorine (FC): From your sig, I'm assuming your current pool is manually chlorinated (your old one was apparently SWG). Going with this assumption, you would test FC daily using the FAS-DPD test. If my assumption about your current pool being manually chlorinated is incorrect, please clarify as that would change my answer.
    • pH: 3-4 times a week
    • TA: Once a week
    • CH, CYA, Salt: Monthly or whenever there is a significant water replacement

BTW, I would remove the part about your old pool from your sig - it is irrelevant. Otherwise, you run the risk that someone will see the letters SWG in your sig and give you advice for a SWG pool (like I almost did).

What would cause a pH change during regular use (newbie question) - I just refilled my 20k liner and have everything getting into order chemical-wise and have not had any noticeable changes in the pH since I initially added baking soda 1.5 weeks ago to adjust TA - my pH wasn't addressed with Borax or acid - it was just fine to begin with from the tap - right at 7.5 I believe

Also, with reference to your post, should I use the FAS-DPD every time I test chlorine? When would I use the OTO chlorine test? - For what it's worth, I have a really difficult time differentiating the differences in the yellow hues on the OTO test and certainly have an easier time reading the FAS-DPD test.
    20K gal, IG vinyl, 1 1/2 HP Hayward Super Pump , 100lb sand, installed 2000 - new liner/filter/pump March 2014
    TF-100 test kit

11. Back To Top    #11

pH can change do to aeration or top-off water ... letting this get too high can lead to calcium scaling so good to keep it in check.

Use the chlorine test you are comfortable with. I know some will use the OTO as a quick daily check to make sure something major has not happened and then verify with the FAS-DPD weekly, but this is likely more acceptable if your chlorine is automated. If you are adding bleach everyday, it may be important to use the FAS-DPD until you are pretty comfortable with the typical daily additions.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

12. Back To Top    #12

By keeping records you will learn in a few months what affects your pool.

I have high TA fill water and a spill over spa so I am always fighting pH. With lots of rain, TA will go down, but with no rain and lots of fill water, TA goes up. And pH changes are driven by TA trends. So these are the things I watch on each test. The other things I will test on a monthly basis. Just so I am not surprised by low CH, for example.

Really, for the next few weeks you will have a new toy to play with. You will test everything obsessively. With records, you will soon learn what is not changing much.

Rain, debris, heavy pool usage all affect the chemicals. So test around those events.

Sometimes something that you did not see will affect the pool. By about 8 weeks you will have developed an "eye" for the pool. You will notice the subtle loss of sparkle that is the early tip off to something going on in the pool. When you see that, you test everything. Maybe some duck found your pool and pooped as he swam but was gone by dawn. Or someone spilled a milk shake and didn't tell you. All sorts of weird things can happen. So you test regularly, which is every day for the basics, weekly for others, monthly for some.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

13. Back To Top    #13

This is great information and much better suited to its own thread. I am using bleach, borax, and baking soda to maintain the pool. After spending a lot of time on this site, I decided it was something I wanted to try. So far, I like it. I never did get the SWG adjusted properly on the old pool and I always had that strong chlorine smell. So far, this pool is odorless!

I will keep a log as has been suggested. I am sure that over time, I will get a feel for when the tests are required.
    Sharkline Reprieve 15x52 (3/14). Still using Intex 2650 Sand Filter with Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 3/4 HP pump (6/15). Solar Cover cut into strips for easy removal, (2) 2*10 Space Saver solar panels. Swim Jet HD Robot (by Aquabot) (3/15). Chlorine Liquidator (4 gal). 4 person hot tub. Hard pipe is the way to go for improved flow! Retired Lil Shark (3/15). Starite Max E Therm 333k BTU Propane Heater w/ 24 gal tank (7/15).

14. Back To Top    #14

Do you actually need borax and baking soda? Most members never need either of them which is why we never suggest buying anything until you know you need it.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

15. Back To Top    #15

I struggle with keeping the PH up so I put a few cups in yesterday. I have not used the baking soda.