Building 27' AG Pool

Re: 1.75 psi pressing on the bottom of the pool

I could not believe how much trouble it was to put the skimmer together and get it to stop leaking. I finally tightened the 8 bolts like tightening the head bolts on an engine. I made sure I could not see any gasket material between the two pieces.
All is well that ends well.
Or so they say.
Now to start on the electrical.

That skimmer almost had me in tears today and throwing my screw driver... I hate to admit it...

Sometimes you have to walk away from things for a bit then come back to it !!!

I did... about 5 times! I ended up doubling up on the butterfly gaskets! One like it should be and the other on the outside of the pool and screwed the skimmer box on and its sealed as far as I know. Thank God!!!

1.75 psi pressing on the bottom of the pool

I had same problem with mine at first. It stopped after the gasket on the inside got absorbed with water. I got lucky.
From what I've heard and read this is pretty common problem.

I googled it an came back here to a thread with no resolution. Using the extra gasket was a last resort. GWC my skimmer box came assembled. So glad because it would drive me batty! My arms are really sore right now! lol

Pool readings today with the pump running and filtering.
PH = 7.2
TC = 3
FC = 3
CC = 0
TA = 80
Added 144 oz of CYA for a expected 70 CYA
CH = 0
Salt = 0 -- not added yet
Do I need to add any CH. If I don't add CH will I have less chance of scaling on the SWG cell. What I have read on this site seems to be a mixed bag. The Aqua Trol say 50+. So guess my question is should I add CH or not? Pool Math gives a wide range starting at 50.
Please advise

The addition of CH to a vinyl pool is a bit of a mixed bag. Generally, it seems most of use a CH of around 100 as a guideline but I often think we suggest that because 0 CH just seems too low.

Based on the consensus I have read on the forum, I would bring my CH to 100....there certainly is no harm.

For other readers, this only applies to vinyl pools. Masonry pools require a suggested CH of around 250 - 400.

as cramar said in another post about silksoft
"Well, a couple of major "rules" for BBB is never put anything in your pool where you don't know the ingredients and only put in what your pool needs....based on that I would personally pass on this product."

Does CH and a vinyl pool fall in this? We know what it is but do we need it for a vinyl pool? Can the SWG cell form scale without CH? Will the absence of CH harm the SWG cell or the pump?

Has anyone run their Salt Water pool with out adding CH. The CH is this pool is 0.

Still very confused.

Not sure why you are confused. Why don't you put 100 ppm CH in your pool and be done with it? There is no harm, just not sure if there is any benefit.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

A couple of empty bleach jugs floating around with socks filled with CYA hanging from them. Some oak litter on the bottom. Too cold to get in and don't have a pole long enough to reach it.

The SWG mounted and connected. Need to bury the electrical wire.

This picture shows the sock better

Added 440# pool salt today
Test results
Salt =1600
FC = 4.0
CC = 0.0
TC = 4.0
TA = 80
CYA = 50 (It hasn't been a week for the CYA)

The FC tested 3.0 so I added 24oz 8.25% bleach to get the FC to 4.0

A couple of empty bleach jugs floating around with socks filled with CYA hanging from them. Some oak litter on the bottom. Too cold to get in and don't have a pole long enough to reach it.

The SWG mounted and connected. Need to bury the electrical wire.

This picture shows the sock better
Excellent pictures! I shall be bookmarking this the next time someone gets befuddled by the concept of suspending a sock. :thumleft:

I liked how one guy had his sock tied to a noodle! :D

The SWG started running this afternoon. Hopefully I have added my last bleach for a while. Current test results
PH = 7.6
FC = 3.0
CC = 0.0
TC = 3.0
TA = 100
CYA = 50 (hasn't been a week yet)
CH = 50
Borate = 50
The next couple of days will be trying to get the pump run time and the SWG % set.
Any suggestions on pump run time and % setting?

Looks like you're on your way to a trouble free pool!

How does your wife like the liner now that it's up and running?

Thanks for asking Casey.
She thinks it is beautiful. I like the fact that it does not trick the camera into making everything such a dark blue.
From reading your posts I know you like yours.

Love mine! :mrgreen:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.