O/B Pool in San Diego

bsjeep

LifeTime Supporter
Oct 18, 2013
San Diego, CA
So it begins!

I've been working on this for some time, I'll be posting as much info and questions in regards to my efforts to build the pool owner/builder with myself as the general contractor. It's in San Diego County, and I'll relate sub-contractor experiences as well.

Got the permit today!

Excavation is around April 24th.

I've got the current layout as attached.

Basic Description:
32x15' pool, includes level spa 7' square, spa just an inch or 2 above pool with spill over wall.
Auto pool safety cover
All Jandy equipment except for Pentair pumps.
Considering main pump for filter/heat/SWG, 2nd pump for dedicated jet pump for spa.

Expenses already paid:
2 months of Pool Studio
Engineering drawings/sheets
Permit fees with city

Next items in work schedule:
Moving the A/C
landscaping (saving some plants, removing the rest)
demo of existing patio and walkway
Excavation
Steel

page2.png

On the spa plumbing issue,

It would seem I can run 120GPM through my Jandy LXi400 heater and 150GPM max through the filter. The SWG just has max 75 psi, with a min 20GPM.

I have 10 waterway poly storm jets in the spa with 10GPM each, so 100GPM.

It would seem plausible that I could run 1 pump but with the TDH being pretty high I probably can't achieve the 100GPM. I don't really want to bypass heat for max jets, so it would seem if I had two pumps, one dedicated to 100GPM without equipment in the way that I could do it?

Otherwise our backup to 1 pump was just 6 waterway jets.

The 10 jet ideal was going to be 4 single jets and then two 3-jet seats.

Thoughts?

I'm pretty sure you can hit your 100 GPM with a 3 HP intelliflo pump.

I designed my OB spa with 8 waterway jets to run off the intelliflo without bypassing the filter or heater. From everything I looked at, it should be able to. I'll be filling in a few weeks, so I'll let you know.

pool_equipment.jpg

Update on pool equipment, got the IntellifloXF pump and SWG. I'm looking at the final issue of piping and valves, and spa jets. Currently spec'd for the 10 jets and the 110GPM requirement which is just under the 120GPM of the heater.

For the SPA scenario, here's the route:
3" suction to
45deg sweep
to a 2.5-3" 3-way jandy never lube valve
to a 45 degree sweep, to 12" straight into pump.
Out of pump is a 3" sweep into the 2.5" filter
From here on out, it's 2.5" filter, heater, SWG.
Once we leave SWG (there's partial bypass for infinity spa over, negligible, same return anyway)
2.5" into a 3-way Jandy, possible 3" out of the valve, then split into 2 returns, probably both 2.5" spa loops, 6 jets and 4 jets.

I'm assuming the equipment restrictions and plumbing restrictions are a hit but only for the equipment area, there's still easier flow so much less pipe friction head loss for the suction and returns.

Yes, most of the plumbing is Jandy Versa-plumb kit stuff, so it's from Jandy. It comes with sweeps and stuff to allow close placement of the equipment. I'm planning on adding sweeps and valves to the initial suction/return from the ground pipes to complete the setup.

The problem with packing your equipment together as tight as possible is that when a problem develops there is no easy way to make repairs.

If you have the room do yourself a favor and leave room between the equipment and fittings.

After more thought I'm returning the versa-plumb kit and recreating it. I might add a tiny bit more room for repairs as suggested, as well as the versa plumb elected to use 2" pipe for a few connectors instead of 2.5" pipe and I didn't like the restriction. I'm going to run basically 2.5" everywhere on the pad, except maybe 3" on the pump suction.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
As another side note, to be through in my documentation on the build, I had Specialized Mechanical Heating & Air come out and disconnect the A/C condenser from the back patio before landscape day.

Before that I got the build permit from the city, was same day once I had all the paperwork in order. I had help from Dave Stapleton (engineering) and I used pool studio to draw up the site plan and go over about 15 different pool scenarios before we settled on what we're building.

- - - Updated - - -

http://youtu.be/RlWP6QeCjHA

:p video of the tree/trash/wood removal and patio demo.

Looking for pool plumber in San Diego area. I've talked to four. Had one lined up and he then refused to install waterway jets. 2nd guy doesn't seem to want to commit to owner/builder. 3rd guy too busy. 4 guy is two weeks out and my only hope at this point. Was thinking of plumbing myself? Is that a crazy idea?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did 90% of the plumbing myself. Doable, but took me literally weeks. Personally I wouldn't do it again.

I had > 1000 ft of plumbing though.

Sample of what I had
6 drains.
2 skimmers
6 pool returns
8 spa jets
Spa blower line
Vacuum pressure line
2 water fall returns
Waterfall bleed off pipe

Pad took me nearly a week and I'm not quite done.
Heater
2 pumps
Filter
SWG
12 Valves

Good luck with the plumbing bsjeep! Keep us updated with pics and progress! :cool:

i love the camera that you are using.....is it wireless and why did you choose that particular one? been looking for one for my pool and front door for security...would you recommend this camera for security?

I mentioned earlier it's a Foscam FI9821W v2. It is wifi, just has a power wire, it's really an indoor model ( they sell outdoor models too) that I put outside under the eve mounted upside down. At first it was going to be looking out the window but didn't like the angle, so now it's outside. The goal was to use it for at least the pool build. After build I might keep it for pool security or front yard security type setup. Not sure how much I like it, some of the features don't seem to work all the time, it's rebooted on me a few times and reset the pan/tilt. I did get it to email me pics when my kids walked outside, some other stuff. The record 20 sec when motion detection I never seemed to get working right, not sure the deal there. It's seems some models of foscam are more bug free than others.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.