Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: O/B Pool in San Diego

1. Back To Top    #1

O/B Pool in San Diego

So it begins!

I've been working on this for some time, I'll be posting as much info and questions in regards to my efforts to build the pool owner/builder with myself as the general contractor. It's in San Diego County, and I'll relate sub-contractor experiences as well.

Got the permit today!

Excavation is around April 24th.

I've got the current layout as attached.

Basic Description:
    32x15' pool, includes level spa 7' square, spa just an inch or 2 above pool with spill over wall.
    Auto pool safety cover
    All Jandy equipment except for Pentair pumps.
    Considering main pump for filter/heat/SWG, 2nd pump for dedicated jet pump for spa.

Expenses already paid:
    2 months of Pool Studio
    Engineering drawings/sheets
    Permit fees with city

Next items in work schedule:
    Moving the A/C
    landscaping (saving some plants, removing the rest)
    demo of existing patio and walkway
    Excavation
    Steel

O/B Pool: 11,000 gal, 32x15 with baja step, 7ft spa with Waterway jets, Jandy Aqualink RS6 with Pentair IntellifloXF pump. SWG, iAqualink, LED lights, cover-pools auto cover.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: O/B Pool in San Diego

On the spa plumbing issue,

It would seem I can run 120GPM through my Jandy LXi400 heater and 150GPM max through the filter. The SWG just has max 75 psi, with a min 20GPM.

I have 10 waterway poly storm jets in the spa with 10GPM each, so 100GPM.

It would seem plausible that I could run 1 pump but with the TDH being pretty high I probably can't achieve the 100GPM. I don't really want to bypass heat for max jets, so it would seem if I had two pumps, one dedicated to 100GPM without equipment in the way that I could do it?

Otherwise our backup to 1 pump was just 6 waterway jets.

The 10 jet ideal was going to be 4 single jets and then two 3-jet seats.

Thoughts?
    O/B Pool: 11,000 gal, 32x15 with baja step, 7ft spa with Waterway jets, Jandy Aqualink RS6 with Pentair IntellifloXF pump. SWG, iAqualink, LED lights, cover-pools auto cover.

3. Back To Top    #3

Update, digging in a week now. Here's the yard prepped for landscaping.

Snap_20140414-072932.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Equipment arriving.

IMG_0576.jpg

4. Back To Top    #4

I'm pretty sure you can hit your 100 GPM with a 3 HP intelliflo pump.

I designed my OB spa with 8 waterway jets to run off the intelliflo without bypassing the filter or heater. From everything I looked at, it should be able to. I'll be filling in a few weeks, so I'll let you know.

5. Back To Top    #5

pool_equipment.jpg

Update on pool equipment, got the IntellifloXF pump and SWG. I'm looking at the final issue of piping and valves, and spa jets. Currently spec'd for the 10 jets and the 110GPM requirement which is just under the 120GPM of the heater.

For the SPA scenario, here's the route:
    3" suction to
    45deg sweep
    to a 2.5-3" 3-way jandy never lube valve
    to a 45 degree sweep, to 12" straight into pump.
    Out of pump is a 3" sweep into the 2.5" filter
    From here on out, it's 2.5" filter, heater, SWG.
    Once we leave SWG (there's partial bypass for infinity spa over, negligible, same return anyway)
    2.5" into a 3-way Jandy, possible 3" out of the valve, then split into 2 returns, probably both 2.5" spa loops, 6 jets and 4 jets.

I'm assuming the equipment restrictions and plumbing restrictions are a hit but only for the equipment area, there's still easier flow so much less pipe friction head loss for the suction and returns.

6. Back To Top    #6

Are all those sweeps schedule 40 PVC and not drain fittings (not designed for pressure) I hope?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

Snap_20140421-131705.jpg

Tree's cut down, plants potted that we're saving. Landscape work was performed by Pablo:
    http://www.yelp.com/biz/pablos-lands...ces-san-marcos

- - - Updated - - -

Pool cam is a Foscam FI9821W v2, mounted under the eve, nightvision, pan and tilt, time-lapse videos. Bought if for the build but might end up keeping a camera for security long term.

8. Back To Top    #8

Yes, most of the plumbing is Jandy Versa-plumb kit stuff, so it's from Jandy. It comes with sweeps and stuff to allow close placement of the equipment. I'm planning on adding sweeps and valves to the initial suction/return from the ground pipes to complete the setup.

9. Back To Top    #9

The problem with packing your equipment together as tight as possible is that when a problem develops there is no easy way to make repairs.

If you have the room do yourself a favor and leave room between the equipment and fittings.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

10. Back To Top    #10

After more thought I'm returning the versa-plumb kit and recreating it. I might add a tiny bit more room for repairs as suggested, as well as the versa plumb elected to use 2" pipe for a few connectors instead of 2.5" pipe and I didn't like the restriction. I'm going to run basically 2.5" everywhere on the pad, except maybe 3" on the pump suction.

11. Back To Top    #11

http://youtu.be/io7kNrmzq0Q - landscape day video time lapse

12. Back To Top    #12

The dog in the video is too funny!

Yay for beginning! Looking forward to watching your build!
    SwimNPlay AG 15x33 oval 48" high 12k gallons - Used pool set up July 2013
    Hayward sand filter, Sta-Rite 3/4 HP pump
    Kleen Machine Robot, TF-100 test kit
    Central NC

13. Back To Top    #13

As another side note, to be through in my documentation on the build, I had Specialized Mechanical Heating & Air come out and disconnect the A/C condenser from the back patio before landscape day.

Before that I got the build permit from the city, was same day once I had all the paperwork in order. I had help from Dave Stapleton (engineering) and I used pool studio to draw up the site plan and go over about 15 different pool scenarios before we settled on what we're building.

- - - Updated - - -

http://youtu.be/RlWP6QeCjHA

video of the tree/trash/wood removal and patio demo.

14. Back To Top    #14

Looking for pool plumber in San Diego area. I've talked to four. Had one lined up and he then refused to install waterway jets. 2nd guy doesn't seem to want to commit to owner/builder. 3rd guy too busy. 4 guy is two weeks out and my only hope at this point. Was thinking of plumbing myself? Is that a crazy idea?

15. Back To Top    #15

Think I found my 4th plumber, 2nd to visit the house. Seems like he might work out, but he's 2 weeks backed up.

- - - Updated - - -

Pool dig day 1
    http://youtu.be/8iU3z7BYyXo

Pool dig day 2
    http://youtu.be/wMHVBcu-K_M

Steel Day
    http://youtu.be/NoYyNo2LtGc

16. Back To Top    #16

I did 90% of the plumbing myself. Doable, but took me literally weeks. Personally I wouldn't do it again.

I had > 1000 ft of plumbing though.

Sample of what I had
    6 drains.
    2 skimmers
    6 pool returns
    8 spa jets
    Spa blower line
    Vacuum pressure line
    2 water fall returns
    Waterfall bleed off pipe

Pad took me nearly a week and I'm not quite done.
    Heater
    2 pumps
    Filter
    SWG
    12 Valves

17. Back To Top    #17

Status update: plumbing up next, doing it myself now, will update.

Snap_20140508-093314.jpg

18. Back To Top    #18

Good luck with the plumbing bsjeep! Keep us updated with pics and progress!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

19. Back To Top    #19

i love the camera that you are using.....is it wireless and why did you choose that particular one? been looking for one for my pool and front door for security...would you recommend this camera for security?

20. Back To Top    #20

I mentioned earlier it's a Foscam FI9821W v2. It is wifi, just has a power wire, it's really an indoor model ( they sell outdoor models too) that I put outside under the eve mounted upside down. At first it was going to be looking out the window but didn't like the angle, so now it's outside. The goal was to use it for at least the pool build. After build I might keep it for pool security or front yard security type setup. Not sure how much I like it, some of the features don't seem to work all the time, it's rebooted on me a few times and reset the pan/tilt. I did get it to email me pics when my kids walked outside, some other stuff. The record 20 sec when motion detection I never seemed to get working right, not sure the deal there. It's seems some models of foscam are more bug free than others.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast