Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Help with pollen in the pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Help with pollen in the pool

We live in the southern US, and it's heavy pollen season. Any suggestions for getting pollen out? We are running the filter more, and will clean the filter often, but still have issues with pollen in the water.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Help with pollen in the pool

Welcome to TFP!

Skimmer socks and running the pump through the skimmer more should help. Or build an enclosure around the pool
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

I've been having this problem myself. I'm not sure how the skimmer would help, as it seems the pollen just settles to the bottom as a brown dust. I've been brushing every day for the last couple of weeks, just stirring the stuff up so that it'll get sucked through the bottom drains into the filter.
    11,000 gal In-ground Plaster SWG Cartridge filter Variable-speed pump Newbie

4. Back To Top    #4

With good circulation, most should not sink right away and able to be captured by the skimmer if you have a skimmer sock or nylon in the basket.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Skimmer socks! You may want to circulate a bit longer so the pollen is captured before it sinks, maybe several short periods evenly spaced over the 24 hours.

We use skimmer socks all year round. Up-end the skimmer basket in a bucket of water to rinse the crud off and it is pretty clean. Rinsing is really required in pollen season.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.