Pump and Filter Recommendation for New 27' AG pool

Mar 27, 2014
NW suburbs IL
Split by moderator from HERE. Please start a new thread for your own questions. Thanks, jblizzle

I am purchasing a 27' radiant pool. Please advice on correct pump, filter and heater required for this size pool. I am a first time pool owner and want to get the right equipment for the job.

Welcome! :wave:

I have a 1HP 2-speed (Waterway brand) pump for my 24' and it's a little big. With a 27', that's the sweet spot for a 1HP pump, so that's my recommendation as well.

I have a cartridge in mine. Keeps the water plenty clean. Mine is a pretty good size for my pool (A tad small, but it works) so I usually only have to do 1 midseason clean as well as the clean at the end of the year of course. It's personal preference on if you love or hate cartridges. I think once my current filter dies we are going to switch to DE simply because of its extreme cleaning ability.

I have a 150,000btu heater and it's even too small for our pool. With your pool being even bigger, I'd recommend a much larger heater.

Sorry about posting on someone else's thread. Not sure what I'm doing. Or how to start new thread. Hayward is the brand the pool company carries. So a 1hp is the way to go for 27' round? I was looking at 200,000 btu heater also by hayward. I wan the biggest filter I can get, I think cartridge since sand and de require back washing. I was also looking into the zodiac mineral to accompany the filter to reduce chlorine.

Not sure exactly what you mean by "suction", but in an AGP, the water is gravity fed down into the pump, so the pump "self-primes" as its called. Some IGP's have the pump above the water line, so the pump has to prime itself (or in some cases, be primed by the user) to start the flow of water uphill. An AGP pump will be fine for an AGP pool.

I believe Hayward sells a 250,000 BTU model. We have Hayward's 150,000 BTU natural gas heater. Our pool holds ~11,700 gallons of water. Yours, if it has 54" walls like ours, will hold ~19,000 gallons of water. Since the 150,000 is a little slow to heat mine (although in all honesty, it's not terrible), I'd recommend a bigger one for you.

Sorry about posting on someone else's thread. Not sure what I'm doing. Or how to start new thread.

When you are reading an individual thread there's a "Reply to Thread" button in the top left corner. If you're looking at a forum rather than an individual thread there's a "Post new thread" button in that spot instead... so just go to whatever forum you want your new thread to appear in and hit the button.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Moonlite, I am installing the same pool and have the same questions. One combo unit that was recommended to me was Pentair PNCC0200OP2160, as I want to go with a cartridge filter. I am still looking at some other options too, as of now I'm undecided.

I thought so too about the separate pump and filter, but below is a reply to my similar thread (sorry I don't know how to link my thread???):

"I would just go with one of the combos offered by Hayward or Pentair. They are a pretty good value and are usually sized properly. Just go with the largest filter offered paired with the smallest pump in the combo. If going with a cartridge filter:

Pentair - PNCC0200OP2160

Although, the pump is a 2 HP SPL rated two speed pump, it is actually the same "size" as a 1.5 HP up rated pump which is actually the same "size" as a 1 HP full rated pump. Also, keep in mind that AGP pumps are rated differently than IG pumps so HP rating is not very accurate. This is one of the reasons, it is not a good idea to size a pump by just it's HP rating. It can lead you astray."

Any other thoughts??

If you can find a filter larger enough and a pump that is not too big for a good price, it might be worth it. But a larger pump is going to use more electricity for the life of the system, so the combo would have to be a good bit cheaper to be worth it.

Would have been easier to see context if you just copy and pasted the URL to the thread you are talking about.

Sorry, will do that next time - but I had the exact same questions, minus the heater. I'm leaning toward a Hayward Matrix 1 hp 2 speed pump - either SP1599S or SP15922S, I can't tell the difference between these two pumps? Also, I am having a difficult time finding a 250 sf cartridge filter, any recommendations???

Be warned about that gas pool heater - they burn fuel like crazy !. About 10-15 years ago (when I had a better paying job and propane was about $1/gallon) I purchased a 250KBTU propane heater - that's nearly 3 gallons per hour while it is running (and no - I don't know the equivalent therms for Natural gas - be assured 250KBTU is 250KBTU no matter the fuel source) - I spent nearly $1000 on gas those couple of summers - and man it was nice! Now, I'm looking for a heatpump pool heater since propane is at the $4 - $5 /gallon level - in the meantime - I've been operating without any heater for the last 5-7 years - it's usually mid july before I get to 80 degree pool water, but I live in a forest.

Pump and filter - you've gotten some good advice above. I'd stick to about a 1 HP 2 speed pump and as big of filter (of preferred type) as you have space for / can afford. Certainly - at a minimum - follow the TFP forums recommendations for the minimum size filter for your pool size. Any filter should work fine as long as you take care of it properly.

On the pump - yes, you can use an inground pump on your above ground pool, but not always vice-versa. Inground pumps tend to be heavier / better built, and because they will pull more suction - you have more options on where to put the pump / filter.

Be warned about that gas pool heater - they burn fuel like crazy !. About 10-15 years ago (when I had a better paying job and propane was about $1/gallon) I purchased a 250KBTU propane heater - that's nearly 3 gallons per hour while it is running (and no - I don't know the equivalent therms for Natural gas - be assured 250KBTU is 250KBTU no matter the fuel source) - I spent nearly $1000 on gas those couple of summers - and man it was nice! Now, I'm looking for a heatpump pool heater since propane is at the $4 - $5 /gallon level - in the meantime - I've been operating without any heater for the last 5-7 years - it's usually mid july before I get to 80 degree pool water, but I live in a forest.

Pump and filter - you've gotten some good advice above. I'd stick to about a 1 HP 2 speed pump and as big of filter (of preferred type) as you have space for / can afford. Certainly - at a minimum - follow the TFP forums recommendations for the minimum size filter for your pool size. Any filter should work fine as long as you take care of it properly.

On the pump - yes, you can use an inground pump on your above ground pool, but not always vice-versa. Inground pumps tend to be heavier / better built, and because they will pull more suction - you have more options on where to put the pump / filter.

Some of us up north will never get our pool water to 80 without the help of a heater. The summer before getting a heater our pool swung around between 65-75. 65 is a little cold for swimming. Once getting the heater and using it to help push the pool into a warmer range, we got a lot more use out of it. They are expensive, but worth it to extend the swim season IMO

*Gotta have a high quality cover on it to keep heat from escaping too much at night though!

I thought so too about the separate pump and filter, but below is a reply to my similar thread (sorry I don't know how to link my thread???):

"I would just go with one of the combos offered by Hayward or Pentair. They are a pretty good value and are usually sized properly. Just go with the largest filter offered paired with the smallest pump in the combo. If going with a cartridge filter:

Pentair - PNCC0200OP2160

Although, the pump is a 2 HP SPL rated two speed pump, it is actually the same "size" as a 1.5 HP up rated pump which is actually the same "size" as a 1 HP full rated pump. Also, keep in mind that AGP pumps are rated differently than IG pumps so HP rating is not very accurate. This is one of the reasons, it is not a good idea to size a pump by just it's HP rating. It can lead you astray."

Any other thoughts??
Sounds like something I would say and all true BTW. I think those combos are pretty good deals and worth looking at. Don't worry too much about the pump label size. All of those pumps are smaller than the size indicates. Even the 2 SPL HP Optflo is smaller than a 1/2 HP Whisperflo, 1 HP Superpump or Superflo pumps so it uses less energy than all those pumps.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.