Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Test Kit for new owner

1. Back To Top    #1

Test Kit for new owner

Good Afternoon All- I am a new owner of a gunite pool around 13K gallons. I have read a lot on here and am learning more and more daily. I can see that the Ultra Pure ozone system is not the most popular. My build already started prior to learning about it. I am going to go ahead and give it a go, and figure I can remove it or bypass it if need to. I am researching testing kits and it seems the TFTest kits TF-100 seems to be the Cadillac of test kits. Will the ozone system effect my readings at all if I purchase this? Do I need to compensate either way with this system? I am also reading into the BBB procedure and thought I may be able to use it to help. Any thoughts on this are greatly appreciated. To date my pool has not been tested at all but I am betting I can get a lot more useful information on here on how to get it going in no time! Thanks again

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Test Kit for new owner

You're still going to have to maintain a FC level in the pool as well as all the other parameters, so the kit will definitely be an asset. Having ozone doesn't negate any of the tests that are in the kit.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

TF 100 is the kit to use and add the speed-stir. It makes testing so much easier and more accurate. Unless your pool is indoor the ozone system has very little effect on your chlorine demand. Sunlight destroys ozone, so in an outdoor pool, it just doesn't help.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

I have nothing but good things to say about the TF-100 kit, so I'd definitely recommend purchasing one.

If you can return the Ozone system, I'd do that to save a few bucks. Having it on doesn't hurt, but it doesn't help much either.
    11,700 gallon 21' round 54" deep all-resin AGP - June 2012
    Waterway 1HP 2-speed pump / 100 sq ft cartridge filter
    Hayward 150,000btu Natural Gas heater
    I use and recommend the TF-100 for testing

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for the insight everyone, I will get one ordered tonight!

6. Back To Top    #6

Any of the kits listed on the pool school page are good. The TF-100 has more chemicals so you can do more tests, I went with the K-2006 as I found the pH test easier to read (the pH readings are in steps of 0.2 and the test tube is wider so the colors are much more obvious).

Having just disabled the ozone on my pool this last weekend, I too would suggest removing the ozone from the build and saving some money.
    20k gal, IG gunnite plaster + spa, 2 HP Whisperflo pump, Pentair 520 sq ft catridge filter
    Pentair Min Max NT heater. Intelli-touch i5 controller, Ultrapure ozone (currently disabled), Rainbow 320 chlorinator
    Small water feature, Water slide. Poolvergnuegen 2WD suction cleaner.

7. Back To Top    #7

I need the link to buy a test kit. I'm trying to make sure I get the right one.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Cannady View Post
    I need the link to buy a test kit. I'm trying to make sure I get the right one.
    tftestkits.net sells the TF-100
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!