Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Swamp conversion ... now safe?

1. Back To Top    #1

Swamp conversion ... now safe?

Post split by moderator from HERE. Please start your own thread with your own questions. Thanks, jblizzle

Don't want to distract too much from the original conversation, but this is the closest thread I've found for this. So pool was recently pretty much a pond. It was the worst shade of green and filled with a crazy amount of debris and leaves. After a lot of work, it now seems like I'm almost ready to go...visually looks good,clear etc and balanced. BUT, the pool literally went nearly 2 years without any attention...like zero . Is there any additional precautions I should take or do I need to be concerned about what could still be "living" in the pool? (I live in north florida, so it's warm and not sure of I should be concerned about any bacteria, pathogens, amoeba naegleria fowleri etc.)
    24k, IG vinyl, Hayward 220 cartridge, Florida 1990 construction

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Swamp conversion ... now safe?

If you have completed the SLAM Process by passing the 3 criteria to stop and have since been maintaining adequate chlorine (as a function of your CYA level), then there is not likely anything living in the pool any more.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

So I didn't get my FAS/DPD chlorine test until pretty late in the game. My pool is now close to 100% clear. Previous to that I was relying on my hardware store testing an my own Taylor DPD kit. So, I'm wondering if I should go ahead and properly shock or SLAM my pool at this point...for the sake of ensuring any lingering bacteria/pathogens

4. Back To Top    #4

If you finished the SLAM process by passing all three criteria, the pool is clean.

The only way to verify that there's nothing in the pool is to perform an OCLT. You should have done that already to decide whether or not to call the SLAM complete. If you passed, it's clean.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

5. Back To Top    #5

I would suggest at a minimum boosting the FC level to around 10ppm (at least) and then doing the OCLT. If you pass and the CC are not high, and the water is clear ... then you are good.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Okay. Will followup with that once the water is completely clear. Thanks