Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Sta-Rite System 3 Cartridge Filter vs Pentair Clean and Clear 420 Filter

1. Back To Top    #1

Sta-Rite System 3 Cartridge Filter vs Pentair Clean and Clear 420 Filter

We currently have a Sta-Rite System 3 cartridge filter, which has been rather painful to clean. Our builder has recommended switching to the Pentair Clena and Clear 420 filter.

We are at the point where we need filters for the Sta-Rite system (~ $500 online). The Pentair new filter installation is $1000 but the replacement filters are signifcantly cheaper.

Are the Pentair filters any easier to clean and maintain?

Thoughts? Feedback?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Sta-Rite System 3 Cartridge Filter vs Pentair Clean and Clear 420 Filter

Welcome to TFP!!!

I seem to recall a few complaints about the System 3 filters, cleaning, and the expensive replacements. Although I am not sure the Pentair is any easier to clean, but I think the replacements cartridges are cheaper.

How are you cleaning them? There are hose attachments that apparently make the process easier.

Here is a very similar question:
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...-system-3-Cart

And more discussions:
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...-filter-to-buy

Amazing what the search function will turn up ... although we are always happy to help
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!

The Clean and Clear series is generally well though of, while I hear negatives about the System 3 far more often. Of course any cartridge filter is somewhat annoying to clean.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

If you decide to stay with the Sta-Rite filter, I have purchased a set of genuine Sta-Rite filters for my 300sf System3 from eBay for $300 (seller: a1_superdeals).
    ============================================================ ===========================================
    12,000 gal. IG Colorquartz, 1.65hp Sta-Rite with 2-spd motor, 300sf cartridge, disabled SWG, AquaLogic P4, Polaris 280, gas+solar, 6' sheer descent with dedicated pump

5. Back To Top    #5

Excelfilters.com has a sta rite system 3 retro fit kit that gets rave reviews. When I'm up for replacement filters I will be purchasing.
    pool size - 40kgal
    finish - Gunite
    pump size in horsepower and brand-Variable Speed, Hayward EcoStar SVRS3400
    filter size - Sta-Rite S8M150
    additional equipment - Hayward CL220 Chlorinator