Urine + pool = chemical warfare

Yeah, the scare tactic of being a toxic poison that can kill was really inappropriate. For most disinfection by-products, including cyanogen chloride, the issue is not one of acute immediate toxicity but rather of long-term cancer risk. However, for cyanogen chloride, it has not been tested sufficiently but is currently not considered to be a cancer risk. At levels found in high bather-load pools, it's closer to nitrogen trichloride in that it is considered a respiratory irritant.

Maybe in China some of this is more of a concern :mrgreen:

Just look at that water color :pukel:

china-crowded-pool-1%25255B7%25255D.jpg

That's how the pool looks on a cruise ship minutes before they leave port on the first day. The kids begged to get in. I finally gave in. After five minutes, I said get out. Who wants their kids to drown in pee?

That pool isn't even remotely appealing to me, and that's saying something. I'm with Casey in that I would have to pass on going into that pool. Ever since I found TFP, I am much more picky about entering public pools. When I do, I avoid going under water. The few public pools that I do enter usually have a swim-up bar, though ;).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
In another thread, someone asked if peeing could inactivate chlorine today ...
Could his urine be canceling out the Chlorine? .
to which I had replied:
How could about 10 grams of urea possibly have any effect in 28 thousand gallons of water?

Composition of urine:
water 95%
urea 9.3 g/l
chloride 1.87 g/l
sodium 1.17 g/l
potassium 0.750 g/l
creatinine 0.670 g/l
Note these details.

See also:
- No, It’s Not Safe to Pee in the Pool, Says Science
"Uric acid from human urine mixes with chlorine to create the cyanogen chloride (CNCI) and trichloramine (NCl3). CNCI is a toxic compound that can harm organs like the lungs, heart, and central nervous system."

And:
- Swimming pool urine combines with chlorine to pose health risks
"The new findings show definitively that uric acid from urine is "an efficient precursor to the formation of CNCl and NCl3,"

However, the levels are still very low:
- How much pee in a pool would kill you?
- What Happens When You Pee in the Pool?
cyanogen-chloride-2-640x384.png

I hold a degree in Chemistry and have over 20 years in industrial labs; thus, when I read articles such at the on listed in OP I like to see the original source/basis for the report:
What bothers me, is even on the ACS website and journal searches, I can not source the research document. I've tried Google, DuckDuckGO, three engines that specialize in searching only science and chemistry databases and websites... nada on the paper... just returns siting the off-the-cuff remarks made in the ACS press pak and ACS Ed-pak
On the ACS site: Many "press paks" but no links to sourcing on research or actual analytical results.
On the ACS site: Many Q&A with forum style text.
On the ACS site and several other non-science sites: Many suppose this and that should give you this yet without any actual chemistry being done, or even infact any apparent science at all.

Can someone link in the original ACS research paper. I'd like to see the analysis of the pool water, methods used, the statistical data. I'm not a member anymore; thus, the journal may be on the paid side of their net; however, there has to be a reference somewhere for this to be creditable.

Otherwise, I'm starting to think this is once again a scare tactic/hoax, with minimal chemistry, to get the people out of the pool to go pee. Personally, get out... but let's not use poor science and scare tactics. Such things hurt the creditability of the sciences which suffers enough from the geek-factor.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.