Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Urine + pool = chemical warfare

1. Back To Top    #1

Urine + pool = chemical warfare

Found this to be pretty amusing ...
    http://www.healthline.com/health-new...warfare-033114
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Urine + pool = chemical warfare

Made me giggle..hehhee
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

Here is an entertaining followup. You need an FC level of 330,000 (no CYA) and 3 million people peeing to create an actually dangerous situation.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Yeah, the scare tactic of being a toxic poison that can kill was really inappropriate. For most disinfection by-products, including cyanogen chloride, the issue is not one of acute immediate toxicity but rather of long-term cancer risk. However, for cyanogen chloride, it has not been tested sufficiently but is currently not considered to be a cancer risk. At levels found in high bather-load pools, it's closer to nitrogen trichloride in that it is considered a respiratory irritant.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

5. Back To Top    #5

Maybe in China some of this is more of a concern

Just look at that water color

Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Just imagine how much chlorine demand that pool has. Yuck. Absolutely no way they can keep up.
    11,700 gallon 21' round 54" deep all-resin AGP - June 2012
    Waterway 1HP 2-speed pump / 100 sq ft cartridge filter
    Hayward 150,000btu Natural Gas heater
    I use and recommend the TF-100 for testing

7. Back To Top    #7

That's how the pool looks on a cruise ship minutes before they leave port on the first day. The kids begged to get in. I finally gave in. After five minutes, I said get out. Who wants their kids to drown in pee?
    Sharkline Reprieve 15x52 (3/14). Still using Intex 2650 Sand Filter with Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 3/4 HP pump (6/15). Solar Cover cut into strips for easy removal, (2) 2*10 Space Saver solar panels. Swim Jet HD Robot (by Aquabot) (3/15). Chlorine Liquidator (4 gal). 4 person hot tub. Hard pipe is the way to go for improved flow! Retired Lil Shark (3/15). Starite Max E Therm 333k BTU Propane Heater w/ 24 gal tank (7/15).

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post

I don't care how hot it is... I'm not going in there.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

9. Back To Top    #9

That pool isn't even remotely appealing to me, and that's saying something. I'm with Casey in that I would have to pass on going into that pool. Ever since I found TFP, I am much more picky about entering public pools. When I do, I avoid going under water. The few public pools that I do enter usually have a swim-up bar, though .
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

10. Back To Top    #10

O M G

What a nightmare! I'm just thinking about the impossibility of life guarding that thing!
    18' x 48" (42" water depth) Intex Metal Frame 6,700 Gallons
    Hayward Power-Flo LX 1.0 HP pump
    Hayward Pro Series S166T Sand Filter
    Original Intex Floating Skimmer

11. Back To Top    #11

A great lesson in how "facts" can be extremely misleading when presented poorly.

Must reads.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

12. Back To Top    #12

In another thread, someone asked if peeing could inactivate chlorine today ...
    Quote Originally Posted by dino1956 View Post
    Could his urine be canceling out the Chlorine? .
    to which I had replied:
    Quote Originally Posted by rock View Post
    How could about 10 grams of urea possibly have any effect in 28 thousand gallons of water?

Composition of urine:
    water 95%
    urea 9.3 g/l
    chloride 1.87 g/l
    sodium 1.17 g/l
    potassium 0.750 g/l
    creatinine 0.670 g/l
    Note these details.

See also:
    - No, It’s Not Safe to Pee in the Pool, Says Science
    "Uric acid from human urine mixes with chlorine to create the cyanogen chloride (CNCI) and trichloramine (NCl3). CNCI is a toxic compound that can harm organs like the lungs, heart, and central nervous system."
    And:
    - Swimming pool urine combines with chlorine to pose health risks
    "The new findings show definitively that uric acid from urine is "an efficient precursor to the formation of CNCl and NCl3,"
    However, the levels are still very low:
    - How much pee in a pool would kill you?
    - What Happens When You Pee in the Pool?
    Silicon Valley, 38,500 gallons in-ground plaster; Sta-Rite System 3 Model S8M150, 259 sqft cartridge 25022-0203S + 191 sqft cartridge #25021-0202S = 450 sqft filter@0.28gpm/sqft = 125 gpm@50psi max. Three 220v Sta-Rite Max-e-Glas II pumps {AO Smith QC1102 1.0x1.65SF for filter + cleaner; SQ1152 1.5x1.47SF for spa jets; square 48Y flange}. 13 Fafco 12'x4' professionally installed "Revolution" solar heating panels + Raypak RP2100 P-R 405A-EP LPG 399,000/hour heater + Compool Lx3600 controller + Infinity 4000 automatic pool cover (120v 3/4 HP motor); both skimmers are NOT filtered & serve only as intake for 9-port water valves (aka cleaner heads) controlling fifteen Paramount PCC2000 3" self-cleaning jets with the optional Debris Containment Canister.

13. Back To Top    #13

All that Dihydrogen Monoxide in my pool is more dangerous than that trichloramine and cyanogen chloride.
    http://www.dhmo.org/facts.html
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

14. Back To Top    #14

Nasty! I'd rather die of a heat stroke .

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post

Cornelius 15 Round , Semi Inground, TF-100 Test Kit, Speedstir
    Hayward 2 Speed Pump Swimpro 150 Cartridge Filter
    Pool Rover S2-50, Maytronics Solara Heating System

15. Back To Top    #15

I hold a degree in Chemistry and have over 20 years in industrial labs; thus, when I read articles such at the on listed in OP I like to see the original source/basis for the report:
    What bothers me, is even on the ACS website and journal searches, I can not source the research document. I've tried Google, DuckDuckGO, three engines that specialize in searching only science and chemistry databases and websites... nada on the paper... just returns siting the off-the-cuff remarks made in the ACS press pak and ACS Ed-pak
    On the ACS site: Many "press paks" but no links to sourcing on research or actual analytical results.
    On the ACS site: Many Q&A with forum style text.
    On the ACS site and several other non-science sites: Many suppose this and that should give you this yet without any actual chemistry being done, or even infact any apparent science at all.

Can someone link in the original ACS research paper. I'd like to see the analysis of the pool water, methods used, the statistical data. I'm not a member anymore; thus, the journal may be on the paid side of their net; however, there has to be a reference somewhere for this to be creditable.

Otherwise, I'm starting to think this is once again a scare tactic/hoax, with minimal chemistry, to get the people out of the pool to go pee. Personally, get out... but let's not use poor science and scare tactics. Such things hurt the creditability of the sciences which suffers enough from the geek-factor.
    Intex Ultraframe 14'x3.5-Round (4000ish-gal) AG - Vinyl - Intex 5667EG Sand Filter 1600gph :)
    ( retired: 637R Crtrge 1000gph someday it may have another life as a water fountain... or feet washer! Solar Water Heater? )

:mrgreen: Click here to Goto Pool School. :scratch: How Much Of What? Click Here - Poolcalculator.com :lookhere: TestKits

16. Back To Top    #16

I can't find the original paper, but this article has more information about where to find the original paper and some very entertaining information on how wildly they were exaggerating.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School