Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: concrete

1. Back To Top    #1

concrete

hey everyone,Am i supposed to wet down the concrete,around the pool? where the kool decking will go?it was poured today & its really windy in las vegas tonight....& lucky if your thinking of coming out!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: concrete

If you are talking about your pool shell wet the entire shell everywhere you can get it wet, 3-4 times a day for the first few days.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

They had me wet my decking for a couple of days but mine was just concrete no kool dek (yet!)
    Finally Done! - 21x34 IG, SWCG, depth - 3.6 - 4.6 - 6.6, Pentair IntelliFlow 3050 vs+svrs, 60 sq ft Pentair DE Filter, 400k BTU Heater, Polaris 280 w/.75 hp booster pump, Pentair EasyTouch wireless, 38 sq ft raised spa, wet edge Barbados quartz finish - ODK w/36 in Napoleon grill

4. Back To Top    #4

My PB told me the deck didn't need to be watered unless the temps were really hot (ours were in the 70s, not really hot, but very windy). He said to water cure the concrete it had to be constantly consistently wet for 7 days, so unless I was going to quit my full time job to take on concrete curing, not to worry about it. Don't know what your temps are, but take that as you may!
    35,000 gallon gunite pool, semi-T-shaped, 29x15 shallow end and 16x22 deep end, built in the mid-1970s and renovated 2013-2014 // Polaris 9300 Sport robotic cleaner // Taylor K-2006 ... Learning as we go and so grateful to everyone here for their help! Our reno thread

5. Back To Top    #5

For a pool deck you may get away without watering it. But, just in case others see this thread ---- the curing of concrete is a chemical process called hydration. It is not a drying process. It is particularly important to keep it wet/moist for the first 3-4 days and the longer the better. Use a lawn sprinkler or cover it in plastic or burlap, "hire" a neighbour, or anything else that serves the purpose. Keeping it moist contributes significantly to its final strength, lower propensity to crack, abrasion resistance, and impermeability. These may be less critical structurally for a pool deck slab but for a pool shell, retaining wall, house foundation/wall/slab it would be very important.
    "I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference." (R. Frost); 12.5K gal; 18'x72" round joined to 10x16x18" oval; vinyl liners; ferrocement-like wall panels; perimeter wet edge; fountain and cascade; Pentair Dynamo 1hp 2 spd; Pentair CC75 filter; Pentair no-lube valves. My build here.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by MiaOKC View Post
    He said to water cure the concrete it had to be constantly consistently wet for 7 days, so unless I was going to quit my full time job to take on concrete curing, not to worry about it.
    Im a contractor that does a fair amount of concrete construction and Im not sure where the myth of wetting a concrete structure a few times a day came from, but not only is it wrong, its actually worse for the structure.
    Either constantly wet, or cover the concrete with something to reduce the mositure loss (which is what curing actually is), or sit by your new shell and drink a beer.
    You will feel better and its better for your pool too!
    http://www.concrete.net.au/publicati...f/Curing06.pdf

7. Back To Top    #7

Thank you everyone,i finally got ahold of my pb (hes been real scarce & almost no info unless pryed from him) he said not to water it,& it seems like a mixed opinion here...but i sooooo apreciate it