Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Min CYA and TA levels after drain and fill?

1. Back To Top    #1

Min CYA and TA levels after drain and fill?

I drained my pool yesterday due to high CYA to get it ready for pool season (previous home owner used tablets). I tested the city water and I remember getting a < 20-30ppm CYA. I think i need to raise it in order to control the chlorine level accurately. Could someone verify the following?

CYA is typically kept between 70 and 80 for non SWG outdoor pools.
    TA minimum is 50 ppm.

My wife told me the pool has a light green color. I guess the water hoses had algea in them cause the pool water was clear when i started draining it. A SLAM session is about to start!! :whip
    Century B129, 3/4 HP, 1.5 SF,
    In-ground gunite 17,400 Gal, FNS plus 60 DE Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Min CYA and TA levels after drain and fill?

When you really don't have any CYA in the water, only true after a clean fill, SLAM level is 5.

Non-SWG pools the target CYA level is between 30 and 50. The higher numbers are if you have a SWG.

Also, raise TA up to about 70 to start, rather than just 50.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Non SWG pools should be at 30-50 for CYA.

TA should probably be in the 70-90 range. No lower than 60, bit if you're higher than 100, don't worry about it. SLAMing the pool and getting the FC and pH dialed in is more important.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the reply guys.

Should I SLAM while the CYA is less than <= 20 ppm (Taylor K2006C lowest reading is 20ppm) at a SLAM level of 5 or raise the CYA to ~40ppm and SLAM at level ~ 20?
    Last edited by consoleman; 03-31-2014 at 03:32 PM. Reason: changed value for SLAM

5. Back To Top    #5

I would get the CYA up to 20-30 ppm. You'll get some protection from the sun with it raised to 20-30 ppm. What is your PH. You want the PH to be in the low 7's before you SLAM. Remember the PH test is in valid with FC levels of 10 or more so adjust the PH before you take your FC level to SLAM level. 😎
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

6. Back To Top    #6

I admit to not checking the PH of the city water before starting the drain and fill. I assumed it was OK since it was "city water".

I have never added Muiatic Acid to lower PH since I have only had the pool for about 3 months. I have researched that there is no direct way of measuring MA when adding it to the pool water.

7. Back To Top    #7

You can use a measuring cup. Pool math will tell you how much to add to lower your PH an X amount.
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html 😎
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

8. Back To Top    #8

one last thing....since i just did a drain and fill the water is now green. Will SLAMing the pool, running the pump 24x7 and getting the levels correct clear it up?

Do i need an algeacide? I heard algeacides are a big no no since you dont know what you are adding into your pool

9. Back To Top    #9

No algaecide's ! You'll SLAM the pool with bleach only. Yes SLAMING the pool will clear it up. Have you read the SLAM process ? Also city water contains zero CYA. We will need to know your CYA level to SLAM.

Do you have one of our recommended test kits ?
    Jeff

10. Back To Top    #10

I have a Taylor K2006C kit. I plan on raising the (CYA to 30ppm) and (TA to 70 ppm) and the Chlorine to the appropriate levels . I just wanted to ask if doing so will remove the algae from the water alone or is there something else that has to be done?

11. Back To Top    #11

Bleach and following the SLAM process to the T will take care of the algae.
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...tain-shockingl 😎
    Jeff

12. Back To Top    #12

Thanks you for help. I think this forum gets more support that other pool forums that I have been a part of. I will becoming a member of this forum....paying member that is

13. Back To Top    #13

You will have all the support you need here. No problem with that ! 😎
    Jeff

14. Back To Top    #14

Welcome to TFP!

Some Algaecides have 11% Copper and this can lead to staining of your Pool. No need to drain as proper Chlorination and or a SLAM procedure will fix that for you.

Chlorine is all you need to keep Algae away or kill it.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

15. Back To Top    #15

...and the pool store try and sell that stuff to you knowing whats in it. I added ~ 2 cups of Muriatic acid, 4 lbs of stabilizer and 3 gallons of 6% bleach.

I tied a sock with the stabilizer, let it soak for and hour and then shook it until it released all of the powder. It was right next to the skimmer, is that ok?
    I added the diluted bleach to the deepest end of the pool along with the muriatic acid.

16. Back To Top    #16

All liquids should be slowly poured in front of a return jet in the deepest part of the pool ... then a quick brush ensures nothing settled to the bottom.

Usually you just put the sock in the skimmer and let it dissolve.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

17. Back To Top    #17

Bleach plus muratic acid makes mustard gas. Always store these two far apart and use them separated by 30 to 60 minutes and at opposite ends of the pool is not a bad idea as well.

You can cheat and shorten that time if you brush with a Wall Whale which moves a lot of water fast and will do a bang up job of mixing chemicals so you can proceed with the second addition.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

18. Back To Top    #18

It isn't mustard gas, it is chlorine gas that is produced when you mix concentrated bleach and acid. Of course, they are both quite dangerous.

This only happens when concentrated chemicals are mixed together. Adding them separately to the pool is just fine as long as the first one has had a chance to mix into the water before you add the second. If you add chemicals as we suggest, by pouring slowly above a return jet while the pump is running, then you only need a few minutes, call it 5 minutes, between chemicals, as mixing of liquid chemicals is very efficient. Allow additional time between additions if adding powdered/granular chemicals, or pre-dissolve so you are adding liquids to the pool (which we recommend doing for other reasons anyway).

This is much more important to keep in mind when storing chemicals. Bleach and acid should always be stored separately, so that even if both bottles leaked at the same time the resulting chemical puddles will not interact. The odds of both bottles leaking at the same time are very low, but the risk, should that occur, is rather large so it is well worth the extra effort to store them in different places.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

19. Back To Top    #19

Ah, thanks for the correction. Nasty, in any case.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.