Building a Treehouse

harleysilo

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Mar 1, 2012
North Georgia
Should probably call it a Deck in a tree.....

So our backyard contains no suitable trees for a true house in a tree, so i decided i had to go with freestanding.

But in keeping with the spirit of a tree house i decided to build a freestanding one in a tree. Actually the tree gave me the idea. The tree in question is a bradford pear, that grew oddly, multiple trunks from the ground. I cut several out of the middle trunks to create the space for the future house in the top of the tree. The tree was flattopped 2 years ago, so all the growth at the top is long, thin and flexible. The flat topping occured at about 16' off the ground, the deck in the tree will be at 12'.

The design is fluid (i.e. no design) so feel free to make suggestions. I was going to have 3 platforms, but think i'll only do 2 now, the one currently under construction and the top deck. There will be 9' of space between the two levels. I need to build a way for the kids (and ME) to get to the top deck. Considering trap door and ladder, but would prefer something other than a ladder going straight up 9'.

The fence blocking access to the treehouse location will be removed. The 4 posts of the tree house will be fence posts, with the same style fencing going around the base of the house, incorporating it into the back yard.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.