Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: This is how a pool should open!

1. Back To Top    #1

This is how a pool should open!

Opened the pool on Friday, water temp is 47! My arm was numb taking the return winter plugs out and putting the fittings back in, but it was worth it to finally see my pool again!

poolopen.jpg
    DIY 18x36 IG Vinyl Rectangle with 2 foot radius; Steel Walls. 8' steps w/t 2 step jets; 2 MD, 1 Skimmer, 2 returns; Hayward Pro Series 24 Inch 300# Sand Pool ; Hayward color logic 4.0 LED light; 2" PVC pipe 4 Jandy Valves, Hayward PL-P-4, SWCG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: This is how a pool should open!

Why are you opening already if you're in MD?
    8,000 gallon, in ground, fiberglass pool with a cartridge filter.

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by GuinnessPhish View Post
    Why are you opening already if you're in MD?
    Multitude of reasons. Top 3 are.

1. To beat the algae. Its a mesh cover.
    2. Like the look of the pool rather than a winter cover.
    3. Doing patio work and needed the cover off to put the bullnose pavers around the pool.
    DIY 18x36 IG Vinyl Rectangle with 2 foot radius; Steel Walls. 8' steps w/t 2 step jets; 2 MD, 1 Skimmer, 2 returns; Hayward Pro Series 24 Inch 300# Sand Pool ; Hayward color logic 4.0 LED light; 2" PVC pipe 4 Jandy Valves, Hayward PL-P-4, SWCG

4. Back To Top    #4

Gumby, I'm with you...cant stand looking at the pool cover but wifey keeps me in check and wont let me open till first week of May.
    18' x 36' IG Vinyl 30K gallon, Hayward 1 1/2 HP pump and DE Filter hardpiped, Aqua Pro 1300 Electric Heat Pump.
    TF100 Test Kit on order !
    Commercial Popcorn machine, sno cone machine and cotton candy machine, lost my red nose.

5. Back To Top    #5

Mine's still a block of ice in Chicago, but I'm starting the process as soon as it's thawed for gumby's reasons 1 & 2.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Willi View Post
    Gumby, I'm with you...cant stand looking at the pool cover but wifey keeps me in check and wont let me open till first week of May.
    Well, your opening should not be a function of calendar date. It should be a function of water temperature. We recommend opening while the water is still in the 50s to make your life easier. As you can see, ssgumby opened to a nice clear pool ... which may not be the case if you wait too long.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

Our water is usually in the 50's about the first of May.

I also have an open mesh safety cover on the pool and the water turns dark green not long after I close it.

BUT, I would much rather open sooner, especially now that I just received my TF-100 kit over the weekend and want to play with it
    18' x 36' IG Vinyl 30K gallon, Hayward 1 1/2 HP pump and DE Filter hardpiped, Aqua Pro 1300 Electric Heat Pump.
    Commercial Popcorn machine, sno cone machine and cotton candy machine, lost my red nose.

8. Back To Top    #8

Are you closing following our methods when the water is below 60 degrees? I have no experience with this, but I do think it is harder to keep a clear pool with a mesh cover.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    Are you closing following our methods when the water is below 60 degrees? I have no experience with this, but I do think it is harder to keep a clear pool with a mesh cover.
    When I had my AG my pool was clear every spring, the open mesh on my IG is another story.

New to IG's when we bought our house 4 years ago the previous owner suggested to contract out the closing so thats what I have done since. I do everything else including opening.

I had been looking for a forum to understand pool chemistry better and save a few bucks because I felt I was spending more money than I needed to be. Learning to close will be a bonus.

10. Back To Top    #10

This is how a pool should open!

Closing when the water temp is 50 or below and bringing your FC up to SLAM level for your CYA level will go along way to opening to clear water.
    That said you need to open when your water temp is in the same range. Even if you leave the cover on, it's good idea to get the water moving and adjust your levels. 😎
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by pwrstrk View Post
    Even if you leave the cover on, it's good idea to get the water moving and adjust your levels. 
    Would be hard to do that since the cover is tight and buckled down to the anchors and plugs are in all the discharge jets. Not sure I could loosen the sides of the cover and remove the plugs. But it does make sense and I imagine would make the opening a little easier.

It usually takes me a week to get it clear.

Sorry for hijacking your thread Gumby

12. Back To Top    #12

No worries Willi.

I didnt close my pool until first weekend in November, so water was in low 50's when I closed. I did not SLAM or add a single thing, I simply winterized late and opened early to a clear pool with the exception of some fine dirt that makes its way through the mesh.

13. Back To Top    #13

In MD as well. Looking to open in the next week or so.

Close when it is cold, open when it is cold = no problems for me.
    Jim

Southern Frederick County, MD - Leisure Moroccan 38 Fiberglass Pool - 19,800 gallons
    Pentair 1.5 hp 2 speed pump - Cartridge filter - Dolphin robot - TF-100 Test Kit - SWCG

14. Back To Top    #14

I dare you to swim in it.
    14k gal IG vinyl, Jandy Flopro 1 hp up-rated, 2 spd pump, Hayward 325 sq ft cartridge filter, Circupool Si-40 SWCG

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by sargent View Post
    I dare you to swim in it.
    Funny you say that. Was reading an article on some sore muscles. Soaking for 10 mins in 50 degree ice water is suppose to relieve the muscle soreness. NFL players soak day after each game. Having said that, I am not an NFL player and I would rather have sore muscles!

P.S. sore muscles from patio construction!

16. Back To Top    #16

I'm getting anxious to open my pool as well but I live in Michigan the land of eternal coldness. I might still open it in a week I have in years past.
    16 x 32 Inground Vinyl 21000, 2 returns, 1 skimmer, 1 main drain. Raypak Heater, Crystal Flo Sand Filter

17. Back To Top    #17

Not open yet but my cover tore so I can see my water is still pretty clean and clear!!

45ish year old, 16x32, 19,000, IG, Concrete/Fiberglass Hybrid in need of restoration
    Sand filter with 3/4 hp AO Smith pump. 1 skimmer, 1 main drain, 1 return