Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hard plumbing question

1. Back To Top    #1

Hard plumbing question

As many of you know, I've been slowly converting my small pool to hard plumbing.

I've been doing some reading on this subject, and have come across the idea of a complete loop around the pool especially for the returns. I think I understand the principle behind this, that being easier to balance flow rate through multiple returns/. I am wondering if it would be worth doing to mine.

So far I have two returns, and one skimmer. I'm planning on adding a couple more returns, plus a low mounted suction port in addition to the dedicated vacuum port.

The question is, will this improve the overall operation of the pool?
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Hard plumbing question

I wouldn't bother. The larger the loop, the less impact it has. They work well for spas but less so for pools. Also, having equal flow out of the returns isn't really necessary and I doubt it would have a material impact on the operation of the pool.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

I wouldn't bother, either, but you could "test" it a bit with using smaller eyeballs at the returns closest to the pump.......I doubt you will notice much difference and I can't see it being much more efficient.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks, guys!

I appreciate the input. That kinda follows what I thought.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh View Post
    you could "test" it a bit with using smaller eyeballs at the returns closest to the pump
    While that would help to equalize flow rate, it would make the exit velocity imbalance higher. I might be more inclined to do the opposite. Putting the smaller eyeball on the furthest return would help equalize exit velocity at the expense of flow rate equalization. Exit velocity is what does the "work" of the return and helps move the surface water as well as helps mix the water. Of course if you have a choice, you could just arrange the returns to be equidistant from the equipment.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater