New-to-us IG Refill Opening in AZ -- questions!

Excited to have found this forum as I am certainly in need of good advice and knowledge now that we have moved into a house with a pool! :p I am waiting on the test kit to arrive and am avidly studying Pool School... This weekend we scrubbed and refilled our IG plaster pool with city water... Ran the pump all day today and am wondering what my next step should be... looking in particular for advice about pools in AZ, where it seems as if our "dry heat" absorbs our water and dissipates our chlorine way too quickly! :)

I am guesstimating our volume to be around 24k and the flow rate on filter is labeled as 100... have no idea what these mean as to how much (or even when) I should run our system... I've heard that we should run it at night in winter and day in summer...as we are in the high desert and still have a chance of freezing in the coldest months... also looking for advice about solar blankets and/or solar rings or other simple solar heating systems... Thanks and once again happy to have found TFP!

Glad to have you!

At a minimum, you'll want to add enough CYA to get you up to 30. You can slowly adjust it upward from there. Remember, easy to add, hard to remove.

As for pump run time, you'll have to see. The answer is, as long as you need to keep it clear. Start with 12 hours per day, and work you way back from there.

Welcome to the forum, and keep those questions coming.

Welcome to TFP !!
Make sure your maintaining some chlorine in the pool till you get your stabilizer added. Use bleach to get 2-3 ppm of FC. Pool math will tell you how much to add. After you add the stabilizer adjust your FC level for your CYA level. Don't bother testing for CYA as it will take up to a week to fully register. Just assume it's there.
When you get your test kit post up a full set of results so we can see where things stand.
One question I have. How do you plan on chlorinating your pool ?
Any questions you have don't hesitate to ask. ?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.