Should I have the drains snaked by a plumber before proceeding?

Feb 21, 2014
dfw tx

Was about to start filling the pool up for the first time but noticed that I had some standing water from some rain earlier. Looks like its either not draining or idk if it should be with pool pump off. (first time pool owner)

Both drains are full/caked at the deep end of the pool. Pool hasn't been touched in 3+yrs had it pressure washed and painted earlier. Should I have a plumber come out and snake both drains or should I fill it up and see how it holds up, or do I do something else?

If you can get to the drains, I would remove the grates and vacuum them out with a shop vac. That should take care of it. I doubt that any debris would have built up in the pipes when the pump wasn't running.

Standing water is to be expected. The inside of the drains is the lowest point in the plumbing. Water won't go up from there on it's own without help from the pump.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.