Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Should I have the drains snaked by a plumber before proceeding?

1. Back To Top    #1

Should I have the drains snaked by a plumber before proceeding?

Was about to start filling the pool up for the first time but noticed that I had some standing water from some rain earlier. Looks like its either not draining or idk if it should be with pool pump off. (first time pool owner)

Both drains are full/caked at the deep end of the pool. Pool hasn't been touched in 3+yrs had it pressure washed and painted earlier. Should I have a plumber come out and snake both drains or should I fill it up and see how it holds up, or do I do something else?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Should I have the drains snaked by a plumber before proceeding?

If you can get to the drains, I would remove the grates and vacuum them out with a shop vac. That should take care of it. I doubt that any debris would have built up in the pipes when the pump wasn't running.

Standing water is to be expected. The inside of the drains is the lowest point in the plumbing. Water won't go up from there on it's own without help from the pump.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Should I have the drains snaked by a plumber before proceeding?

Got to the drains but can't get them off looks like algae is caked all around it so I would have to break the drain to get to it.