PB bid a Rainbow 320 but I have just now read all the threads about chlorine tabs :(

We are not at the point of equipment install so I wanted to ask for advice about switching from the rainbow 320 to a liquid chlorinator. PB chose this chlorinator and we did not know any better. After finally immersing myself into pool school into the wee hours of last night I now want to ask him to change this. What would you guys recommend we get at this point in the process? We are about halfway through boulder/slide/waterfall installation. Tile and coping not complete yet, but soon. Is it too late to ask him to change this??

We have/will have a 40' x 20' freeform pool, 120 ft perimeter plus a 8' x9' spa (38ft perimeter), estimated 33,500 gallons
Pentair var speed for pool and spa
Pentair whisper flow for waterfall and slide
Pentair cartridge filter
**Pentair Rainbow 320 erosion feeder cholrinator plus Del ozone(I know how y'all feel about this too...now)
Pentair Intellitouch panel
Wireless remote
Spa side remote
Auto fill for water elevation control
Pentair 400 BTU Heater

Let me know if I left anything out. And thanks for all your guidance!

Andrea

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

A Rainbow 320 is inexpensive and handy for vacations/backup, so I would tend to leave it in and not really use it except for trips.

The ozone system, on the other hand, is comparatively expensive, and of little if any use, so I would get rid of that and either get cash back or get a timer controlled Stenner pump chlorine feed system.

Yep, chlorine is chlorine is chlorine. There are some secondary differences in things like the ideal TA level for bleach vs trichlor tablets, but if you are only using trichlor for a week now and then you can just switch for the week and not worry about it.

Should I assume that my PB will know what to get and how to install it? I'm trying to read as much about this product as I can but considering how I've never seen pool equipment set up and running and I definitely have never seen a "timer controlled Stenner pump chlorine feed system", reading through these threads is like trying to read a manual in Chinese. Ha. And I do not have much confidence that husband could pull it off either. I am hoping PB will know what to buy and how to set it up. :/

Thanks again.

Andrea

The whole process is going to be a little overwhelming for a while. You will slowly get used to it, eventually taking nearly everything in stride without a second though. In the meantime, pace yourself :)

Some builders will know exactly what I was talking about, others only want to do exactly what they have always done before and will variously ignore or bad mouth the suggestion.

A Stenner pump chlorine feed system may or may not be something you actually want. It has just a little complexity to learn, but once learned is very appropriate for your situation. If the various little bits of complexity bother you, you might not want to try it. If you are interested, I (or someone else) can explain in either brief or long detail. In the meantime, I suggest you do a little reading in Pool School, especially the article on possible chlorine sources.

I have one question about your feature list above. You have a "Pentair cartridge filter", size not specified on the list. Larger is better, especially for such a large pool. Perhaps you have a model name? Or can ask? Your list looks nicely high end, so I would expect a large filter right from the start, but if they haven't already gone large it is worth asking for a larger one. If you find out which one they are including, we can have an opinion if it is appropriate or worth troubling them for something larger.

Yes. I stayed up until 4 last night reading up on pool school! I know I'm capable of learning it it's just that I have no frame of reference for what is what on the equipmemt pad yet. So when I read threads talking about how someone rigged up their Stenner or in some cases a "homeade job" and added their own timer I just kind of glaze over. Lol.

Basically, I want to make this pool experience and maintenance as pain(and trouble) free as possible so the liquid chlorinator seemed like the way to go. I have three kids 10 and under (and one more in college) so I wanted to reduce the amount of time and hassle of adding bleach manually.

I plan on asking my PB about it tomorrow. In the meantime I will continue to read everything I can to educate myself.

As far as the size or model name of the filter, I don't know but PB has said that "he would definitely not undersize it". When I know more I can get back to you. I'm considering starting an "under construction" thread for my pool even though we are already so far along. Would be fun and educational to share and get feedback.

Thank you for your responses. I appreciate your help.

Andrea

Just don't be surprised when the PB denounces the bleach idea entirely. He might even say it's bad, or won't work. It's do-able no doubt, but a Salt Water Chlorine generator might also be a great option. I would research local options for some form of bulk bleach to see what you can find. With a large pool hauling bleach will be a little work. Well worth it, but just giving you some ideas and options to consider. Please update us and tell us how it goes with the PB.

Thanks. We ruled out SWG because we got scared of it with stone. BP did not dismiss it but said he would ask his "pool school" guy. He said that dialing down the tabs will help prevent any problems with cya but I am skeptical. I was researching the Stenners and found the ECON model that has a built in timer. Can't find anything on this forum about it though. Any thoughts or are you familiar with it? I did let him know that I would most likely still want it added "just in case". I just didn't finish by saying "in case you're wrong". Lol. He wasn't adamant about not doing it so that was refreshing. We'll see what his pool maint guy has to say. :)

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well that is good, but to be clear, "dialing it in" with the feeder will not make a difference in the Cya level increase. If the puck dissolves, it will add the same amount of Cya by the time it is gone. Typically, having it adjusted to where it adds ample FC, you can get too high a Cya level in just one season. If it is wide open, instead of "dialed" in, it just happens faster. I'm not saying this in a hateful way, but this is one of those examples where even pool people really don't have a good understanding of how Cya bound Chlorine products actually work.

I understand the salt, we have flagstone that soaks water like a sponge. Anxious to hear what pool school guy says.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.