Replacing 1.5 HP Pool Pump with Dual Speed or Variable Speed

txgal

LifeTime Supporter
May 9, 2008
Dallas, TX
I need to replace my 1.5 HP pool pump. I am looking to replace it with a dual speed pump or variable speed pump. I have an older Aqualink RS (from 1996) that I would like to upgrade to the iAqualink when I replace the pump.

First, I have read several posts on here about the cost savings between the dual speed and variable speed pumps and which option makes the most sense with energy costs. Based on the information I have read, it looks like I should replace it with a dual speed pump. I assume I should replace it with a dual speed 1.5 hp pump, but is there a reason I should consider a different size?

In addition, I would like to be able to control the speed of the pump with the iAqualink system. Is this possible, and if so are there particular pumps that I need to consider?

I'm sure there are other things to consider when upgrading my pump and automation and appreciate any help and advise.

Thanks!

Do want a new pump or just replace the motor on your existing pump? You could go with a smaller 2 speed motor for more savings, but you would then also need a smaller impeller.

Yes, getting a pump of the same size is a good idea. The pump size determines how strong the spa jets are. Unless you are unhappy with the spa jet strength, it is best to stay with a pump of the same size.

Note that pump size is affected both by the listed HP and the SF (service factor) on the pump. You want a new pump where HP * SF is equal to HP * SF on your current pump.

Depending on what is wrong with your current pump, you might be able to replace just the motor, which will cost less. Replacing a motor is a mid-range DIY project, but then replacing a pump is also a mid-range DIY project.

For two speed pumps there are many models that are all good, and there isn't really anything special you need to watch for in regards to the automation system, as all of the automation systems can handle nearly all two speed pumps.

Thank you, both. I have been happy with the strength of the spa jets, especially when using the blower. There are some additional parts that need to be replaced on the impeller as well. Because of that, I figured this would be a good time to replace the pump with something more efficient.

Which models would you recommend and are there any that I should stay away from?

I think you answered this above, but will I be able to switch the pump from low to high with the Aqualink system?

Can you be more specific with the actual model number of the pump? All 1.5hp pumps are not created equal.

Any automation should be able to control a 2 speed pump, assuming you have a free relay.

I got the specs off of the motor. It is 1.5 HP and 1.1 SF. The model number on my current AO Smith motor is C48L2PA105C5. I can provide any additional information that may be helpful.

Thank you all so much. I really appreciate the advice and help from everyone here!

What kind of pump is it? Not the motor, but the actual wet end ... that is what determines the performance of the pump and that is what you want to match to keep the water flow the same. Add a picture if you are not sure.

I just ordered a 1.5hp Ecotech EZ VS motor to replace the motor on my 1.5 hp SuperPump. I got it for $340 shipped. No need for a separate comtroller since it has a timer built into the drive. They do have a interface to integrate with a separate controller. For the cost and flexibility, look into the Ecotech EZ motors.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
BRian,

Check 1stoppoolsupply.com. They're in Lake Forest. Whatever you do, stay away from poolsupplyunlimited.

Did you have a recent problem with poolsupplyunlimited.com? I bought all of my equipment from them in 2010 and a SWG in early 2011 and the experience could not have been better. I received prompt delivery, they accepted a return without question and the prices were very competitive. I saved about $1,500 vs. a local pool supply company.

Yes, I am having problems with them. I won't go into detail until this is resolved to my satisfaction. I will say that a lot of the reason I went with them (for more money in fact) was due to the positive feedback here.

Hmmmmm...Now you have me thinking about replacing the motor and pump parts. Then, I wouldn't have to re-plumb a new pump. I need to check my aqualink and see how many available relays I have. Do I need a relay for each motor speed that I want to automate? I saw an instruction manual for the Ecotech that showed needing 4 relays.

Are there any other suggestions for different options?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.