Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Neighbor's Spa

1. Back To Top    #1

Neighbor's Spa

My new neighbor is a snowbird from Canada (I am in Tucson).

Very nice people but I don't know if they know much about spas. They had an ultra nice, expensive permanent spa (partially buried, looks like concrete block, brick and plaster). I know some about pools having been on here for a year, but I know nothing about spas either.

My issue is we have zero lot lines and their pump and heater are right next to my yard wall. The heater sounds like a jet turbine and whooshes and whines when running. Makes it hard to enjoy sitting outside in the afternoon/ evening, we live on a nice wash and golf course.

But they will be gone in a month so I guess I can live with it. But they also seem to run what they claim is a varispeed pump on high way too often, IMHO. It too is noisy and that they will run when they are gone. And I think their pool guy is at best incompetent, left their filter loose (and I had to call the police to make sure I wasn't thought to be trespassing when they were still in Canada and I helped tighten it) as water was leaking profusely

Does a spa need to have the pump run on higher RPM? It has a cover so not much gets in their and I would think lower speed would provide much more filtration than high speed which I use on my pool for part of the day to make skimmer and popup cleaner work. If I am right still not sure how to bring it up.

And to make it worse, nothing to do with a spa, but they leave floodlights on for hours at night which is a no no in Tucson as it hurts the dark sky the astronomers need a the local observatories, Sigh
    10000 Gal, IG Pebbletec, pop up cleaners,Hayward EcoStar VS, 425 sq ft Hayward Cartridge, waterfall feature

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Neighbor's Spa

Since it is not being used I would think running it a couple of hours on low should be enough to filter and sanitize a spa.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

We know all about spas up here. You use a snowblower to clear a path to the spa, you light a fire to make the water warm, you wear a toque when you're in the spa so your ears don't freeze, and you keep a cooler beside the spa so your beer don't freeze. What more do we need to know ?

Sorry about your neighbors' floodlights. Find out where they live in Canada and if they're not too far away I'll go have a word with them
    Cedar hot tub, 680 US gallons - Snorkel wood-burning heater, canoe paddle, "offline" Intex 1000 GPH pump/filter with skimmer

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by bridgman View Post
    We know all about spas up here. You use a snowblower to clear a path to the spa, you light a fire to make the water warm, you wear a toque when you're in the spa so your ears don't freeze, and you keep a cooler beside the spa so your beer don't freeze. What more do we need to know ?

Sorry about your neighbors' floodlights. Find out where they live in Canada and if they're not too far away I'll go have a word with them
    Maybe its Joe and Laura? We can go together, good people, eh?
    40 x 16 IG Vinyl. Goldline SWG
    160 Sq Ft Roof mounted solar array
    2014 Hydropool Serenity 5000 Hot Tub
    The Pool School- A great place to start
    Jason's Pool calculator

5. Back To Top    #5

Friday ? I'll bring a two-four.

I was originally wondering if it might be Jimmy, Sally and Susie... they must be approaching retirement age by now:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXtVrDPhHBg
    Cedar hot tub, 680 US gallons - Snorkel wood-burning heater, canoe paddle, "offline" Intex 1000 GPH pump/filter with skimmer

6. Back To Top    #6

Friday is good, eh. I think they get home from work at 5.
    40 x 16 IG Vinyl. Goldline SWG
    160 Sq Ft Roof mounted solar array
    2014 Hydropool Serenity 5000 Hot Tub
    The Pool School- A great place to start
    Jason's Pool calculator