Kansas City pool / considering automation

Mar 30, 2014
New home owner in Kansas City. Have a pool. There's a pool guy.

I've considered doing it myself, but worry about all the potential issues and complications. I've also thought about getting a pool automation system along with a new Hayward Omnilogic. Does pool automation really work or is there a risk it will spiral out of control.

Anybody else here have a Kansas or Missouri pool?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to TFP!

The Hayward Omnilogic is not shipping yet, so we don't know much about it. Other similar Hayward systems have performed very well.

For the rest of your question, it depends on what you mean by "pool automation". Traditionally that means something like the OmniLogic system, which is fine. But some people use that to refer to chemical level automation, which we do not recommend using.

All existing chemical automation systems use ORP based automation for chlorine levels. Unfortunately ORP based automation is not reliable. It is far far simpler, more reliable, and less expensive to use a standard SWG, then it is to use an ORP bases system. PH automation is another common feature. PH automation tends to work fairly well, but is almost never actually required, and so not generally worth the extra expense/complexity.