Newbie first post CYA question

Mar 30, 2014
New Salem, NC
Just getting started with this BBB method and have a few questions about testing for CYA. Bought a Taylor K-2006. It says CYA is way high at around 150. Pool is starting its third season and I have learned that I have been making some rather large mistakes as far as what chemicals to use for what. Had a small problem with algea late last season and after much reading here suspected the CYA issue. My questions are 1) does the water temp affect CYA results? Water is still very cold at about 40°. 2) What are options to draining if test is correct? I only have well water and would prefer not to drain.

Welcome to TFP!

1) If the water is very cold it can occasionally lead to false low results.
2) The only practical ways to lower CYA levels is to replace water. That does mean adding a lot of new water.

Welcome to TFP !!
Yep thats the only way to lower your CYA level. Water replacement. With a CYA level that high, it's going to be a tough road to stay algae free.
Have you tried contacting some volunteer fire company's to bring you water. I'm on a well also and used the fire company for my fill.

Welcome Murray!

Not to be Mr. negative here, but I would do some inquiry as to where the water might come from if you get the fire Dept to do that. You want to make sure the water won't be laden with Iron. Like if they filled from hydrants or steel tanks where water is stored for extended periods.

Pup made a good point. I knew where the fire dept I used was getting there water from. A lot of fire depts fill pools at least in my area. It's a good source of income for them. The one I used fills pools all the time. ?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.