Algaecide a month before opening?

wpbucher

LifeTime Supporter
Feb 7, 2012
South-Central Pennsylvania
We had friends over last night who have owned a pool for about 4 years. He has relied on the pool store in the past. I have recommended this site.

He mentioned that he walked along the perimeter of his pool and dumped algaecide unto the mesh cover (loop-loc or equivalent) yesterday.
He was happy it rained last night because that helps get the algaecide through the mesh cover.

He claimed that this would prevent algae in the pool until he opens it a 5 weeks from now (beginning of May). We live in south-central PA.

I asked, "How do you get it to disperse without filtration?" He replied, "It just mixes somehow."

Will this have any affect on algae growth?

Or did he just get "pool stored"?

Thanks for your help.

Will this have any affect on algae growth?
Or did he just get "pool stored"?
A little bit of both.

Polyquat 60 algaecide is a decent preventer of algae but not a killer of algae. So, if you have a cold pool like your neighbor that has no algae, I could see some benefit in using algaecide as a preventer.

That said, chlorine can do the same thing and that's what I use.

The application of dribbling it around the edges is a bit shaky and you would need to be quite careful.......any concentration of chemistry in your pool is just not a real good idea.

Most of the time, a pool can be opened simply by uncovering and using chlorine but a dose of algaecide a month in advance may provide some benefit if it is used carefully.

I do not mean to attack your friend, but I would not take his pool care advice. That really is a very hap-hazard way to add chemical of any kind to a pool. Doing that with some products could badly stain or damage the interior finish of the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.