Changing pool filters, 500 to a 1500

Mar 30, 2014
Chatom, Alabama
Ok. Spring in south Alabama. Pollen and pine blooms in my shaded pool. (Hubs won't cut the trees...) I purchased a larger skimmer, and also got the new 1500 pump in today. Alright. Here is the problem, my old pool (8 years) has the little black rubber hose thingies that the hoses attach to going to the pump/filter. Always hated 'em. They always leak water and air. I read about cutting around the existing attachments and using the parts in the new pump. I'm just a little bit iffy on cutting into my pool, but, to have cleaner water. I'm game. ALSO, we have well water and it has almost 0 ph. I spend more time with the pool than in it, but I do love it. If it just wasn't sooo dang cold.

Welcome to the best pool site on the net!

Is it a safe to assume you have an Intex or Summer Escapes pool? If so, you can cut the liner without any problems. Many of us here have done this, myself included. As an example, check out this album: http://s1094.photobucket.com/user/bcgeorge/library/pool%20pics?sort=3&page=1

It takes a very sharp knife and a steady hand, but you can do it.

To help us help you, here are a few suggestions: http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/115-read-before-you-post

Thanks, Charlie. Yes it is my "rednecked pool", the blue intex from Walmart. Gotta love 'em! It is 8 years old, so I cannot complain at all. Opened my box this morning, ready to cut some vinyl, and no connecters, just pump and hoses....curses. I have an email into them, so. The old little pump is chugging away, but it just isn't enough pull, and it is a replacement one. It has been running non stop. I'll know more maybe tomorrow. If I cant buy parts from them, Ill just return it and buy another from ebay that has the connecters. Really should have checked, but I didnt think about changes or upgrades. Live and learn. Thanks!

Amazon has a deal for them right now, http://www.amazon.com/Intex-Fittings-Includes-Strainer-Directional/dp/B007ZGSXLU/ref=sr_1_3?s=lawn-garden&srs=2594064011&ie=UTF8&qid=1396200175&sr=1-3&keywords=intex+pool+parts

Look around, I've seen cheaper for these on Amazon. This was just the first one that popped up on the search.

If you find like I did that the 1500 gph still isn't quite enough, there is a 2500 gph on sale.

http://www.amazon.com/Intex-2500-Ga...=1396200424&sr=8-1&keywords=intex+56633e+pump

If your hubby is handy with hacking things together, check out what I've been working on -- purple link in me sig.

Well, I did it. I took a deep breath and cut into my pool. Changed the 500 pump and fittings to the 1500. I read where a guy suggested using a bowl on the inside of the pool, thought that it was laughable. Laugh at me, it worked. I got wet, had to do several trimmings, but my 1500 pump is working away. I have an air issue somewhere, but, Ill check that out later. Skimmer is skimming, so I should be able to vaccum like crazy when it finally clears. Thanks Charlie.

- - - Updated - - -

Bye the way. Had to order a second pump. Word of advice. Last years Intex 1500 pumps has the valves. This year's, they pulled them. You have to by it separately, and I couldn't get it from Intex's website. 75.00, free shipping, 2 to 3 day shipping.

I sure wish I had read this thread sooner because I probably have five of those fittings in a box in the garage. Let's just say that I went through a few Intex pools.

Debiperkins, where did you order the 1500 gph pump from and did the seller remedy the "no fittings" problem for you or did you have to order them separate?

Bye the way. Had to order a second pump. Word of advice. Last years Intex 1500 pumps has the valves. This year's, they pulled them. You have to by it separately, and I couldn't get it from Intex's website. 75.00, free shipping, 2 to 3 day shipping.

To summarize, Intex no longer includes the connectors with the pump, and the connectors can be found on Amazon.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.