Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Start up CYA question

1. Back To Top    #1

South Louisiana

Start up CYA question

Pool installed yesterday and electrical in today. I added the appropriate amount of CYA, per Pool Math using a target of 30 ppm, in a sock through the skimmer. Before bed I tested my FC and pH. FC was one and pH was 7.2. Per pool math, using 0 CYA, I added the appropriate amount of bleach. As I've read, I shouldn't retest for CYA until next weekend. What CYA value do I use this week in Pool math to calculate the amount of bleach I add, 0 or the target of 30ppm?

2. Back To Top    #2
    East Texas

Re: Start up CYA question

Keep your Fc to whatever is appropriate for the cya level you've ADDED. Just assume it's there.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

Is this a new pool with a plaster/pebble/quartz type finish?
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    TF-100 Test Kit, ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Flagstone, 36"SF, Pentair VS Pump, EasyTouch W/Remote, Rheem 400KBTU Htr

4. Back To Top    #4
    DFW, Texas

It is true that it will take about a week for recently added CYA to appear in test results. However, as woodyp states, once you add the CYA to the pool, you would immediately begin dosing FC according to the target level of the CYA you added (which in your case would be 30 ppm). For a CYA of 30, PoolMath recommends an FC level between 2 and 6 ppm, so I would aim for 4 to provide some cushion that it does not drop below 2.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.