pH and TA seem to be way off after a re-plaster

Jul 2, 2013
DFW Texas
Pool was replastered (white with quartz) last week, it's been 6 days since filling it back up with water. After talking to the re-plaster company, the pool store, and reading countless threads here, I was under the impression the pH would be really high initially and I'd have to be dumping acid for a little while. That's not the case. pH is about 6.4, TA is 320-330. I've tested these daily for six days and had them re-checked at the pool store.

The re-plaster Co. did the initial start-up, dumping in acid and brushing. I don't know how much acid they put in there, unfortunately. But the pH hasn't gone up at all this entire week and the TA hasn't gone down.

Do I keep waiting to see if the pH adjusts on its own?
Is that high TA preventing the pH adjustment?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Most likely the PH started way way lower and whatever you are testing PH with simply reads 6.4 any time the PH is lower than 6.4. The other possibility is that your test results are completely wrong, though that seems less likely.

What test kit are you using?

I think it's called a Blue Devil kit, looks like Taylor but isn't Taylor. There's a great pool store in town that I had test the water and they got the same results because I didn't trust my readings at first.

Will the high alkalinity change on its own like the pH is supposed to (even though it hasn't seemed to change at all)?

Really baffled the pH hasn't budged after a week.

If you are using that test kit, then the PH reading definitely bottoms out at 6.4, and anything lower will be reported as 6.4. So they added a lot of acid, and the PH hasn't made it back up to 6.4 yet.

You can raise the pH and lower TA thorough aeration if you want, but if you get it back in the "normal" range, I'm betting you'll be adding a lot of acid to keep pH in check. I just got finished adding my 2nd gallon of MA this week.

OK, will keep monitoring. I tested the pH of our tap water and it was 8.2, maybe a tad higher. Guess they dumped in a lot more acid than I thought they would. Everyone says the pH will go up so have plenty of acid, and I've got plenty of it. Just hasn't been opened yet.

Thanks for the input.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.