Green pool - Just getting started with BBB

Back wash filter when pressure rises 20-25% above clean pressure. Sand filters take the longest to clear the cloudiness. When you get towards the end you can add DE to your filter to help clear up the cloudiness quicker. There's an article in pool school on it. ?

Can't tell you how long because every pool is different. Sand takes longer, but it will get the job done. You're entering the zone of the SLAM where you will need huge amounts of POP. Everything is happening exactly as it should, so keep at it.

Backwash when your pressure rises 25% above your clean pressure. What is your clean pressure?

Yes, I just need to work on my POP at this point. I feel like the SLAM is making good progress and just need to keep at it until I get to crystal clear water. My CC reading has been at .5 the last couple times I checked and I will try the overnight FC test soon. I may need to consider adding some DE to the filter to help with the cloudiness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I went to my local pool store today to some DE. I can't tell you guys how good it felt to go in there and tell them what I needed rather than hand them a water sample and have them tell me what I needed. ?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
SLAM day 5

The process is holding steady. CC is .5. Have passed the OCLT test 2 days in a row. However, the water is still quite cloudy.

I added some DE yesterday but no obvious difference in the water clarity. I know sand filters take the longest so I guess I just need to muster up some more POP. ?

Have passed the OCLT test 2 days in a row. However, the water is still quite cloudy.
Just to help clarify, the OCLT should be used to determine if you have completed the SLAM. Since your water is cloudy, you have not completed the SLAM so you can delay the OCLT until you meet these criteria.....
1. Your pool water is sparkling
2. Your CC's are .5ppm or less
3. You can hold your FC overnight without losing more than 1ppm.

That'll save you some reagent and testing time.

Boy, Tom Petty was right when he sang "The Waiting is the Hardest Part. The first part of the SLAM process was easy compared to waiting for the water to clear. I am adding DE, but it really doesn't seem to be improving the filtering much. I think my efforts are also hampered by a "repair" done by the previous pool owner. Instead of fixing a skimmer leak the right way, he decided to fill in one of the two skimmers in the pool in order to save money.

I keep hoping I'll wake up one morning and my water will be sparkling. My pump has been running for 6 days now 24/7. Is there any danger of damaging it from such constant use?

My pump has been running 24/7 since last spring. (Not necessary and probably shortening it's life but I really am to lazy or preoccupied or whatever to figure out how to buy and use a timer! Lame! I know. )
So I think 6 days is nothin'!

Ugh. I'm wasting money on electricity! :hammer:

My water clarity is gradually getting better. I can clearly see the algae debris on the bottom in the shallow end and can finally see a shadow of it in the deep end. I still have a lot of pollen in my yard so that is affecting the clarity also.

On another note, one of my kids saw all the bleach bottles I have been using and said, "ew, I don't want to swim in a pool with bleach!". I told him it was the same stuff we were putting in previously with the pucks but I don't know if that swayed him. Do you all have good arguments you use with your kids or others regarding the use of bleach in the pool?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.