Green pool - Just getting started with BBB

I did another test this morning and got same results as last night. I will be working on getting the pH down so I can start the SLAM process this weekend.

I have used the Pool Math already and it is very helpful for playing with different scenarios.

I have not purchased any CYA yet, but now have that on my TO DO list.

Here is my latest update.

Last evening I added some PH Down to try and get that level to the recommended range. Apparently, I overdid it because this morning the PH test is showing 6.8. What is the best way to adjust it back up? I have both baking soda and borax.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info. I punched my info into PoolMath and it's saying to add 254oz of borax. Does that sound about right? I currently have one standard size box of borax on hand.

Also, I did pick up some CYA yesterday and will likely plan to add that this weekend.

With a cya level of 0 you'll lose most of your chlorine during the day to the sun. Raise your cya level to 30 before starting.

IMHO - Kick islam off after dark tonight AND put the CYA in a sock in from of the return. Massive hit on the algae and you should be good on the CYA by the time the sun in involved in the morning. ... remember that the CYA won't show up in the test for a week or so.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I've got some of the Aqua Chem stabilizer which says to simply broadcast in the deep end. Is it ok to just do that?

No, it is best to fill a sock or stocking leg with it, and hand it in front of a return in the pool and let it dissolve that way. Squeeze it whenever you think about it to help it along.

Started the SLAM last night. This morning the pool looks noticeably better - the algae is a much lighter green.

FC : 13.5
CC: 1

I have also begun adding CYA.

Here are day 1 and day 2 pics.

a6y2ubap.jpg
egenynav.jpg

+1 to what Brushpup stated. This is the best way to add granular CYA to a pool.

A general rule of thumb when adding any granular chemical to the pool is to dissolve the granules in water and then add it to the pool. However, granular CYA takes near forever to dissolve. It needs to be agitated by moving water to help it along. That's why we recommend hanging the sock in front of a return jet. You can anchor the sock using lawn furniture or tie the sock to the handle of an empty bleach bottle filled with water or sand.

SLAM day 3

Water is continuing to improve. It does look a bit cloudy, but not sure how much of that is due to all the pollen we have right now.

I just tested the water and have the following results:

FC: 11.5
CC: .5
CH: 75
TA: 40

Here is my latest photo.

4apy6u9e.jpg

I am continuing the SLAM process and things are holding steady. Still keeping the chlorine at shock level. My last couple of tests show the CC to be at .5; however, the water is a milky white which I believe is due to the algae particles. I am continuing to run the filter 24/7. Can anyone advise on how long til the water starts to clear up? How often should I backwash the filter?

Thanks.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.