Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: No winter cover?

1. Back To Top    #1

Central Indiana

No winter cover?

Our first winter with a pool has been a pain. We bought a heavy duty winter cover with cable winch. We live in the open in the country and within a few weeks the cable had ripped cover blew half way off and ripped a couple do top pool rails off. Fixed it and out it back on. Later in the winter cover blew off and pulled not only the top rail off but two side support posts for the pool out of the ground. This resulted in a very small dent in the side of the pool. With all this hassle we are thinking about just not using a winter cover next year.

1) with no cover should we go out and test p/add chlorine periodically?
    2) should we periodically pump water out to keep it below the skimmer?
    3) any other thoughts?
    4) is there a way to use a winter cover and not have such problems?
    5) should we use the solar cover over the winter to how limit chlorine loss?

Will the dented wall from when it pulled the post cause any problems?
    13500 gallon AG (24' round), 100 sf cartridge filter, Hayward 1hp pump, pool 10-15 years old with recently replaced liner

2. Back To Top    #2
    SW PA

Re: No winter cover?

I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

3. Back To Top    #3
    Elverson Pa.

Re: No winter cover?

The small dent in the wall shouldn't be a problem. I would take a look at the hurricane cover. You could go without a cover but IMO you would be better off with a cover. 😎
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.