Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Ducks!

1. Back To Top    #1

Ducks!

Last year I was one of the first in my neighborhood to open my pool. And I think as a result a duck decided to create a nest under my Japanese maple tree next to the pool. At first we thought this was great and enjoyed having the duck so close and the kids loved looking at the eggs.

Eventually the eggs hatched and the baby ducks were so cute until they got into the pool and couldn't get out, even with the help of a pool ramp. Then the mother duck got in and went to the bathroom in the pool. All cuteness stopped and I proceeded to chase down the ducks with a leaf net and place them outside the pool. Luckily after that I did not see them or their mother again.

I do not know much about ducks but is there a chance the same family of ducks or a new one will return to the same spot this year?
    25,000 gallon in ground white plaster- 1 1/2 HP Pentair SuperFlo pump - 60 sqft FNS DE filter (with FiberClear), 1999 Sundance Optima 850 hot tub.
    Manassas Park, VA

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Ducks!

I had ducks 2 years ago and haven't had ducks since.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

No nests, but a mating pair used my pool as a watering hole a few years ago. Haven't seen them since that spring.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

4. Back To Top    #4

We've had 2 ducks (male and female) for the last several years. Tried the rubber snakes and scaring them but to no avail. Finally got rid of them after several mornings of direct hit spraying them with the water hose. Saw them later in the summer "vacationing" on neighbor's lawns several blocks away, but not back in our pool.
    This year, we still have a block of ice but will be watching for their return, and ready with the garden hose!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    16 x 28 Doughboy Mystic Garden AGP with 7' deep end (used expandable vinyl liner) ~11,800 gals. Deep end main drain. Thru-the-wall skimmer, one return at deep end. Media Master 150# sand filter. Doughboy PowerPak II pump, 1 hp. Pentair MinimaxCH 150m natural gas heater. Polaris 65 when it feels like working . TF-100 test kit. No longer 'pool stored' 5 years and counting. In sunny but fickle metro-Detroit.

5. Back To Top    #5

Thank you for the replies everyone. There was nothing like vacuuming the pool in the middle of the night and having a duck fly out from under the tree when I got close. Almost fell in a couple of times.

If they do show back up I will spray them with a hose this time, hopefully before they have a chance to build a nest.
    25,000 gallon in ground white plaster- 1 1/2 HP Pentair SuperFlo pump - 60 sqft FNS DE filter (with FiberClear), 1999 Sundance Optima 850 hot tub.
    Manassas Park, VA